Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting crossover results from NGC (Dahlonega gold)

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
001 1856 D $5 MS DNC (PCGS Green Label XF-40 holder)

002 1858 D $5 MS 58 (PCGS Blue Label AU-55 holder)

Interesting results from NGC, about what I expected and what David Lange suggested when I showed him the coins at FUN.

The 56-D, which did not cross, is an original coin, with a good strike for the date, nice clean surfaces, and clearly not dipped. To me, when I compare it to other coins, the detail is XF/AU. David said it was an "ugly coin." I did not think so--it is very "crusty" and nice. I paid XF-45 money for it.

The 58-D, which upgraded, has a nice strike, clean surfaces, but clearly has been dipped in the past. Still, the color was bright and attractive. To me, it has less appeal than the original 56-D described above. It ends up in the 58 holder, which is a $2000 jump in retail value (Trends)!

My results support statements made by others, including exNGC graders, that NGC rewards luster (enhanced or otherwise) over originality when grading 19th century gold coins.

Robert

Comments

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like my submission Robert,

I am half happy for you!! NGC has been really tight as of late and apparently been bb'ing a lot of coins.... to include my 1881 PCGS crack out.

You did it the smart way however...
    John
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did it the smart way however...

I did it the woosy [sic] way. A real coin collecting stud would crack the coins out like you did (I am serious).

My greatest fear was that NGC would cross the green label PCGS holder to a same grade NGC holder. In my mind, it would diminish the appeal of the coin. Say what you like, but I like the old green holders. There is the perception of these coins being undergraded, and I think gold looks more attractive with the green contrast (aesthetically). Kudos to NGC for leaving the coin in the PCGS holder!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the compliment but I would rather be a wuss and smart than strong and dumb image

John
  • Options
    I like the Green Label PCGS holders too... not really the old rattlers, but the lil bit younger ones... I like em b/c it's kinda a guarentee that it's not going to change on me, considering that the coin has already been in the holder for at least a couple years, it really isn't likely to change... and I really don't think the younger green labels are undergraded, maybe I'm wrong, but when I compare my green labels to my blues, they look about right compared to other Mercs I have... so... anyways... happy you got the upgrade image

-George
    -George
    42/92

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file