Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mcfarlane SportsPicks Figurines

does anyone else collect these? i used to collect Starting Lineups back in the day, and always took em out and displayed em. i just got my first Mcfarlane figure in the mail today (a Shanahan Red Wings piece), and these blow SLU's out of the water. theyre incredibly detailed. i couldnt care less about the chase pieces or keeping them mint in the case. they look awesome taken out and displayed. and at $15/ a pop, i think i can aqcuire a pretty cool collection for a few hundred bucks.

anyone else like or collect these?

Comments

• Options

at local stores here the mcfarlane sports picks are about $8.99
  • Options
    I too have a few of the football figures. The detail on these figures are awesome. You have to take them out of the package and display them to get the full appreciation of the detail and work that went into them. Absolutely incredible for under $10 a pop compared to some higher priced items.
  • Options

<< <i>at local stores here the mcfarlane sports picks are about $8.99 >>

i plan on buying mine on ebay. i only plan on collecting figures from my favorite teams, and a few random hockey figures. the only thing the stores have around here are baseball and a few basketball pieces. they cost (w/ shipping) around $15 on ebay.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    GR189 - They are incredible compared to the SLU's, they are like a work of art and the SLU like a toy.
    My kid took all his Hockey McFarlanes out of the package and has a neat display on top of his bureau,
    has a goalie on 1 side w/ 4 or 5 players in various poses in front and next to the goalie...jay
  • Options
    I've picked up a few football figures for me and a bunch of baseball players for my kids. I also found a guy that does great "customs." I've had him create an Archie Manning and Danny Abramowicz, and now he's working on a Dome Patrol foursome. He was profiled in Beckett last year some time. You can usually find customs on ebay, but these are far better quality and he'll do any player, any team - including high school, college, minor league, etc. Eventually I may have my sports room filled with little Saints.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    You really want to get blown away but one of the 12 inch mcfarlanes. i have michael vick and emmitt smith. these things are awesome. you can get the for 30$ on ebay with shipping.
  • Options
    Thats buy one of them!!
  • Options
    Stopped buying figures with SLU's. Still got a bunch and can't give them away. Took it in the shorts on that one. Checked out the McFarlanes and they are pretty cool though

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    I need to get ahold of the new MacInnis figurine. I haven't bought any yet but the local shop in the mall has prices jacked up on these.

• Options
    Mcfarlane's have much more details than SLU's. Also, you can find key first pieces from Mcfarlane's in stores (even though Mcfarlanes are mass-produced) than in the past with SLU's. Heck, I even lucked out and found a Lebron James figure at Target recently.
  • Options
    McFarlanes are a great value. I'm currently trying to collect all the football series. I collect the variations too, but not the really expensive ones ($100+). The detail is incredible and well worth the price. I never collected the SLU's because they all looked the same. My son collects the Yankees and poses them on his desk.

Jvineyard is right. There are a few guys on Ebay who sell custom made figures and they are awesome. I especially get a kick when they put the figure in a blister pack.

Hey John, do you remember the Beckett issue or have the name of the guy who does your "customs"?
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    His name is Joe Ingraffia. His e-mail address is jomo3640@hotmail.com. He's also got a website with examples of his work, but I can't find that address - I remember that "jomo" is part of the address though.

I've purchased a few of the customs on ebay, but Joe's work puts them to shame.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    Found it: Joe's website is www.customsbyjomo.com

He's got an extensive gallery of his work (including my Manning and Abramowicz) plus "how to" information for those that might want to try it themselves.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    Is this legal for him to reface mcfarlane product?? He might get shut down. he has to pay those players for the rights to do this.
    He does awesome work but i dont think this can be legal. Am i wrong? or does anybody agree with me?
  • Options

<< <i>Found it: Joe's website is www.customsbyjomo.com

He's got an extensive gallery of his work (including my Manning and Abramowicz) plus "how to" information for those that might want to try it themselves. >>

thanks, you just guaranteed that i'll be eating ramen noodles till 2005. oh well, at least i'll put together a killer UT Longhorns McFarlane collection image
  • Options
    John- That is a killer site. Thanks for adding another layer to my possessive obsessionsimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    I prefer the Gartlan statues....much better quality and at a real discount to retail on Ebay right now.
  • Options
    Those gartlan are nice but they are mostly autographed and expensive!
  • Options
    I picked one up a couple of weeks ago, Emmitt in Cardinals unny. Now have about 10 of them, 3 displayed and rest still sealed. I absolutley love them. If find myself now stoping in Targets, Walmats ect looking for them. Nice change of pace from cards for now. I just now figured out the variant
    deal with them. If you
    see a Patty Roy in old Colorado 3rd jersey jump on it. Another cool one is the Tom Brady one, has a real wet look to it and they made a snow variation that is big $ one, the Hines Ward in end zone is my current favorite........
  • Options
    Did anyone hear about the new Cooperstown series that Mcfarlane is releasing ? I would be curious to know if anyone has any details on it
  • Options
    In July Cooperstown series one is due. Only the names have been released so far Gibson, Brooks, Ryan, Reggie, Seaver, Berra. Will be cool to see what they do with the variants. I could see a Reggie in O's unny, Seaver in White or Red Sox's, lots of options on few of these guys. Will be nice to see the old unny's on these figures. Brooks has to be in his diving pose deep behind 3rd base........
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    From what part of his career would you make the Cooperstown Series players?

Personally, I would go with
    Gibson: 1968
    Brooks: 1971
    Ryan: 1975 with a 1981 variation and a 1990 variation
    Reggie: 1977 with a 1973 variation
    Seaver: 1969
    Berra: 1954-55

Here's my hoped-for list for Cooperstown Series 2:

Hank Aaron: 1957, with a 1974 variation
    Bob Feller: 1939
    Willie Mays: 1965, with a 1954 variation
    Whitey Ford: 1956
    Frank Robinson: 1966, with a 1961 variation
    Steve Carlton: 1972

By Series 3, I would hope that the licensing rights had been worked out for deceased players.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a Steve Yzerman w/Stanley Cup McFarlane at Toys R Us about a month ago. Never had a chance of staying in the package image It's now proudly displayed in my cubicle - right next to the Sports Illustrated U of Michigan football, Western Michigan University mini-helmet and a pair of Warcraft III figures. Surprisingly, I don't get any funny looks image

Tabe
    www.tabe.nu
  • Options

<< <i>I picked up a Steve Yzerman w/Stanley Cup McFarlane at Toys R Us about a month ago. Never had a chance of staying in the package image It's now proudly displayed in my cubicle - right next to the Sports Illustrated U of Michigan football, Western Michigan University mini-helmet and a pair of Warcraft III figures. Surprisingly, I don't get any funny looks image

Tabe
    www.tabe.nu >>

i have a Stevie Y Cup figure also, it lasted about 5 seconds in the package before i tore it out and displayed it with my Red Wings auto's and SLU's. you might be interested in the Red Wings McFarlane 3-pack (SY, Hull and Cujo i think)...you can pick em up on ebay for $20-$25. i plan on getting an entire run of Red Wings McFarlanes, cause they look awesome when displayed
  • Options
    I really hope they have Reggie in early to mid 70's green jersey, like he's wearing in 1974 and 75 topps card. I would love to see Nolan in early 80's Astros road jersey and Seaver in red, white and black White Sox's jersey circa 1985. I hope next series has either Carew or Killebrew in Twins powder blue unny circa 1974-75. With Carew in the pose of stealing home and Mike Schmidt in powder blue Philly road unny...................
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    I have a friend who is crazy for the McFarlane figures.

He's always showing me all the variations of each one.

Interesting!

• Options
    No no no! Think HARTLAND when you think of the guys in Cooperstown!

We have 4 new ones coming out that you'll like..(opening day). image
  • Options

<< <i>Those gartlan are nice but they are mostly autographed and expensive! >>

and just do not have the detail
    that the mcfarlane figures do...

does this really look like Hank Aaron??
    imageimage
  • Options
    I thought it was Jerry Seinfeld.
  • Options
    (deleted)
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    goodriddance189-- I have a Brett Hull McFarlane fig (he's in the follow-
    through of his shot), and an Edmonton goalie (Salo, I think?) on display
    at work. One of my buds, the same one with all the bobbleheads, started
    buying these BIG time when they first came out (all sports), and he also
    opened them all up for display. He almost cries now when he hears how
    much some of the 1st series figures are going for now MIB.

Some poses I'd like to see for the Cooperstown line...
    Jackie Robinson sliding into home, or...
    Willie Mays making "the catch", or...
    Dimaggio gracefully trotting around the bases after a homer, or...
    Ozzie Smith upside down in the middle of a flip, or...
    Ty Cobb sitting on the bench sharpening his spikes, smirking deviously...

HartlandMan-- Did you ever have a figure of yourself made? I always
    thought that would be a fun, but expensive, thing to do. BTW, that
    Satchell figure looks very cool!
  • Options
    CW- McFarlane really needs to do a classic hockey line....give me a Jacques Plante figure, and i can die a happy man. another badass one would be a combo Bill Barilko/Jerry McNeil piece reenacting the game winning goal from the '50 Cup final
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought it was Jerry Seinfeld. >>

ZODIAC - I'll be damned, it does look like Jerry, much more so then Aaronimage ...jay
  • Options

lol hartlandman the detail on hartland figures stinks...they look as much like the players as michael jackson looks like a black man

the detail on the mcfarlanes rocks, enough said
  • Options
    That's odd you say that, since Hartland was voted #1 by the collectors of figurines (according to SCD) and the detail as well as the pose leaves no questions as to who it is to anyone familiar with these people, so I must assume that you're off.

Are you off?

You seem off.
  • Options

<< <i>That's odd you say that, since Hartland was voted #1 by the collectors of figurines (according to SCD) and the detail as well as the pose leaves no questions as to who it is to anyone familiar with these people, so I must assume that you're off.

Are you off?

You seem off. >>

riiiiiight...here's the Babe's "called shot"...or is he asking for a beer?

• Options

CHECK OUT THE MICK!!! SO REALISTIC! HEY, I DON'T REMEMBER HIM HAVING WHITE HAIR DURING HIS PLAYING DAYS???

imageimage
  • Options

LET'S COMPARE THE REALISM OF HARTLANDS VERSUS MCFARLANES

imageimage
  • Options

I think we can all see which are the better and more detailed figures...don't be ignorant.
  • Options
    Goddriddance189.......they are doing NHL legends series as well. It's due out in September, no names released as of yet. I'm hoping for Dave Hammer Schultz in Philly road unny and Penguins powder blue as variant in a fight pose and Bobby Orr mid air pose.....
  • Options
    It's so sad when one so ignorant makes it so obvious to so many so often...

If you knew ANYTHING at all what you're talking about, you'd realize that the Hartlands that you're depicting are from molds made back in the 50's. Since you insist on playing the fool out here in the open, the only other thing I can do for you is direct you to the Hartland home page, where, (if you do your homework), you'll see the history of the company, and THEN you may have something constructive to say, I hope.

Hartlands are the first sports figurine company. Those are from the 50's...can you possibly comprehend this??

If you can comprehend this, I'll be glad to enter a conversation with you about sport figurines. If you're just going to troll, well, see ya...