Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Only in a Beckett...

I just love what I call "Beckett logic"...which is to say there is little relationship between reality and their pricing , except on coincidental moments.

It is supposed to be a "guide" , yet is quoted like a Bible.

It seems to be a rehash mostly of what takes place on Ebay, for the most part.

But what motivated me to write is the fact that they have Bob Uecker listed as a "semi-star" and Carlos Delgado is a "minor star".

Good grief, what nonsense.

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    BB - Ueck is a semi-star based on his popularity (broadcaster, book author, TV & movie actor) not on his baseball performance.
    When i had a card store, his cards sold real well, granted more as a novelty, but they sold well...jay
  • Options
    Thank you Jay !

I guess that is what makes Beckett seem so far from reality at times. Beckett is really about perception.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Again, like I have said a thousand times......what a guy does on the field has very little to do with
    their card prices! There was a time where Delgado's cards were hot, then the season ended and his
    monster stats just weren't new anymore. The guy is a beast and is constant but that just isn't
    fun anymore. The market is all about the new rookies and who will get hot. Look at some of the
    past ROY's in football...Moss, Edgerrin, Anthony Thomas.....all their cards were hot their rookie
    year and all of them had great years this year, but their cards didn't take off again....why? Because
    collectors have already been there and done that.

This is a trend you will notice across the board. If you understand it you won't be stuck holding
    a pile of Rick Ankiel rookie cards!

In defense of beckett, the market just moves too fast for ANY company to try to provide up to the minute
    pricing. The turn around time on a beckett is 5 weeks...obviously a lot can change in that time. The
    smart people know when to use beckett as a guide and when not to.

JS