Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Statehood quarters: What determines the price ?

I've noticed ads in Coin World listing Statehood quarters, and the prices
can be as much as a dollar more between States.
I've checked mintage numbers and there doesn't seem to be much
correlation.
2002 Tennessee -P mintage 361,600,000 sells for $1.60
2002 Ohio - P mintage 217,200,000 sells for $.75

Anyone know what criteria goes into establishing these prices ?

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Pure supply/demand/what a person can get for it. Really, just go to the bank and get new rolls of each as they come out, keep the best, spend the rest.

I would rather sell 10 at $1.60 than 20 at $1.00, as there is less work for almost the same profit.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    I'm no state quarter expert, but for most dealers I would assume the state quarters are a "lost leader". My dealer sells most of them for .50 and a few states for $.75, the last time I bothered to look. When you factor in shipping etc, I think he pays about .50 per coin. So he basically doesn't make anything on most of them. And when someone comes in and asks how much he pays for state quarters, guess what his answer is.....25cents. The only reason I can explain the difference in price may be regional and/or collector appeal.
    Bill
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People get very relaxed about saving coins when they are made in the hundreds
    of millions and being saved in huge quantities. Typically people will tend to save
    the same issues and overlook the same issues. Those which sell for more were
    overlooked.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Anyone send away for the two free MI quarters that were available from a Coin World insert?
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    demand demand demand

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file