Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just bought '04 Silver Eagles

Picked up a roll of Silver Eagles at my local coin shop today.
With tax, I paid $8.45 each.
About a dollar more than last year but silver is about a buck more
than a year ago !

Skipper

Comments

• cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    My local dealer bragged how he ordered early and got prices locked in in November and then proceeded to tell how much silver went up since then while he charged me $9.95 for one. ( Still cheaper than anything on eBay with shipping )

P.S. Taxes??????????
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rites (and rights) of business dealings....
    Dealer buys early and locks in price, prices go up, and then charges more because their replacement costs are more.
    or
    Dealer buys early, locks in price, prices decrease, dealer still charges what they would have because they have to recoup losses for what they paid.

I'm glad (or will be once they arrive) that I bought mine on ebay (2 rolls so I can open a roll and put some in album and maybe sell a few on ebay) for less than $155 per roll incl shipping.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I got my two rolls on eBay for $145 each, shipped, preorder. Received them yesterday. Opened one roll. Sharp strikes but significant distracting marks, imho. Still, can't complain about the deal.
  • Talking to a dealer today and he told me the mint raised the price to $1.40 over spot as well. It used to be $1.25. Plus you have to buy a gazillion of them just to order tham at all.

I'll stay away for now, I'm interested in bullion coins but not at those prices. Actually, if I recall the dealer was asking $8.49 each.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The Mint only sells UNC Silver Eagles to about 11 or 12 dealers and they are the beginning of the distribution chain.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file