Home U.S. Coin Forum

Help me spend $1,000

If all goes according to plan I expect to get my bonus from work in about a month. After taxes, bills, and a little for savings I hope to have $1,000 to spend on coins. Now, I ONLY collect Silver American Eagles. Which plan below should I follow?

A. Complete my set of PCGS MS69 Eagles. I need 9, and I would probably end up with money left over to put towards some others.

B. Work on my set of PCGS PR69 Eagles. I only have one ('03). I could probably get 10-12, which is a good start.

C. Buy some proofs in mint boxes from prior years. I only have 2 right now ('87 and '03).

D. Buy 5-6 mint rolls from different years. I only have one roll right now ('03).

E. Buy a little from each above; a roll, a few mint boxes, a couple of PR69s, and the rest to the MS69s.

F. Put together another BU set (I have one complete set plus duplicates) and then put the rest towards some of the other ones listed above.

Just wondering what would be the best way to go!

Silver American Eagles ROCK

Comments

• I'd work the two 69 sets.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I would choose to complete my set. "Completion" is a good thing.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'd complete the MS set.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    just come pick me up, we'll figure out what to do with that 1k!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I'd get suspicious about the time that Lucy pulled into the parking lot of the bar. image

-KHayse
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Buy 30 1992 proofs in original mint packaging.

Russ, NCNE
  • Buy a book or two and expand your collecting horizons....if you like SAEs, then Walking Liberty halves may be up your alley
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    paigowjohnny,

Excellent suggestion!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • If you can finish the MS69 set with money left over, do that and then add to some of the
    other sets so you have a "complete" set and you also have more stuff to play with! image
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Good suggestions, all. Especially Lucy! I think I'll stick with the MS69s and then maybe pickup some mint proofs. Sorry paigowjohnny, my goal is to build a huge SAE collection!

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ONLY collect Silver American Eagles.... it is too late....you can't be helped.... image

• << <i>Good suggestions, all. Especially Lucy! I think I'll stick with the MS69s and then maybe pickup some mint proofs. Sorry paigowjohnny, my goal is to build a huge SAE collection! >>

why?
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • finish your sae sets then move to the next that way each year you only have to buy one
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put the money away and save up a bit more to get your PR69 1995-W. It's really the only expensive coin you'll have to get for your two sets, might as well get it out of the way as soon as possible so you can breeze through the rest without it hanging over you.
  • I know we should collect whatever makes us happy...but why so many SAE's? You're really paying a big premium, especially the proofs, for silver bullion with limited numismatic appeal. I'm with PJ, buy a good book on Walking Liberty's and get a nice start on a Walking Liberty collection. That's how I'd spend $1000.
    Bill
  • D and E.

• << <i>I know we should collect whatever makes us happy...but why so many SAE's? You're really paying a big premium, especially the proofs, for silver bullion with limited numismatic appeal. I'm with PJ, buy a good book on Walking Liberty's and get a nice start on a Walking Liberty collection. That's how I'd spend $1000. >>

I just don't find any other coins to be attractive to me- EXCEPT for the Gold Eagles, but too expensive. I want to focus on ONE series, and the Silver Eagles give me a chance to put together a killer set of a coin I love.

It's like seeing the right woman- there is no one else in your eyes. I feel that way about my Eagles.

IMO - I think concentrating on one coin is cool, he's right...by the time he's done he'll have one hell of an Eagle collection! Numismatic or bullion value doesn't really matter if you're not doing it strictly for investment purposes but doing it for enjoyment. Although....if you do ever want to branch out to another coin I would suggest the Walking Liberty Half Dollar seeing as how the obverse of the Silver Eagle is the same as the obverse on the old Walking Lib Half...both gorgeous coins!

• << <i>IMO - I think concentrating on one coin is cool, he's right...by the time he's done he'll have one hell of an Eagle collection! Numismatic or bullion value doesn't really matter if you're not doing it strictly for investment purposes but doing it for enjoyment. Although....if you do ever want to branch out to another coin I would suggest the Walking Liberty Half Dollar seeing as how the obverse of the Silver Eagle is the same as the obverse on the old Walking Lib Half...both gorgeous coins! >>

Good advice! Thanks!

• slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    I'd buy a slabed key date in any denomination and a case of Jack Daniels.....

<< <i>and a case of Jack Daniels..... >>

Oh man, yuck! Johnny Walker Blue Label !!!
  • Thank you all! I think I will complete the MS69s and then work on some boxed proofs!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file