Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bad etiquette?

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
A local vest-pocket dealer I know lists a coin on Ebay. Price is on the high retail side. Auction ends with no bids. I email him saying I'm interested in the coin, please bring it to our local show next weekend for me to see. He says OK and we set up a time. A few days go by and I see he relists the coin on Ebay, knocking a bit off the starting price (still no bargain).

Should he have not relisted it until showing me the coin, or is this reasonable on his part?

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Just because you want to see it is no guarantee of a sale so seems reasonable for him to relist it.
    If you made a offer and he agreed it would be different.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    it's poor etiquette, but not poor ethics. it's like he tried to slap you in the face but missed badly. give him another chance....

K S
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin dealing isn't strong on etiquette. Instead of using the usual tactic of expressing interest but failing to make a firm offer you should have simply offered a specific amount. When it comes to buying/selling coins the only thing that really talks is money.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Good point 291. The reason I didn't make an offer is the coin looks like it may have been cleaned, from the pic. This one I want to see in person before making an offer.
  • meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Money talk BS walks. He can list the coin all day and not offend anyone. Lets not get our feelings hurt cause a fella is try to peddle his wares. If you serious look at a Plasma TV in Circuit City and then don't buy would you be upset if they leave the TV on the showroom floor?
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file