Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the value limit for selling coins on eBay?

When selling coins on eBay, what is the highest value coin you could comfortably sell still knowing that you will get a fair price? I see people selling 10 Gold 1-oz. Pandas, and they are gobbled up fast at value, or even more. So what is the highest value you would try to sell--$5000, $8000, $10,000?
Charis, eleos, kai eireenee para Theou (Grace, mercy, and peace from God, in ancient Koine Greek),

perro

Comments

• Options
    For bullion you can go a lot higher than for a single piece with high numismatic value, IMHO. The latter should be consigned to a major house to get maximum exposure. I wouldn't buy a coin on ebay that was worth more than a few thousand or so - even then, I'd have to know and trust the seller.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i bought a raw ebay coin for $2500. still have it.

K S
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's ANACONDA when you need him?? The priciest I've sold was a 1856 FE Cent for 16K. Transaction went fine.

Regarding the exposure to an auction, the buyer of this coin thenm consigned it to a major auction and it went for $14,500 plus commission.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    If your selling stuff more than $500, you need a starting bid close to what you would like - otherwise you maybe greatly disappointed

I frequently see very valuable coins listed and occasionally sell, but not at $1 start no reserve

find and check out Legend's eBay offerings

you can list at whatever you want, but probably won't sell if laughable
  • Options
    Charis, eleos, kai eireenee para Theou (Grace, mercy, and peace from God, in ancient Koine Greek),

perro
  • Options

perro
  • Options
    I don't know why those 2 blank posts are above--so it goes. But let me add a corrollary (sp?): what would be the maximum dollar amount you would sell for a PCGS slabbed coin? Raw coins are different because there are things you can't see, such as a coin I just purchased. So with slabbed PCGS coins--what say ye?

perro
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I was all there until you added the PCGS caveat to it. I don't do slabs thus would be knocked out of the pool of answerers...

In any event, I wouldn't be confortable selling anything over a couple hundred dollars. The most valuable I have sold over eBay was $355, but the bidding started at a reasonable $150. I wouldn't BUY anything over $50 unless I knew the seller or had purchased from them before.

Another thing, it's likely that you'll get many different answers because the people here have many different interests and budgets. I wouldn't think of buying ANY coin for over $1,000 - but that's just me. I don't have that kind of money and I know it. Regardless of the coin and regardless of the seller, I don't even bother considering four-digit auctions.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    the coin i bought for 2500 was a rare die-marriage. plenty of other bidders were obviously willing to risk that amt. however, if all you know is plastic, don't be a fool - stay off of ebay

K S
  • Options
    First of all, I'm not only aware of plastic. The majority of coins I have ever bought have been raw coins. However, I sell many different things on eBay, and surf around alot to learn prices of various things, work out averages on different items, but there is one consistent thing I know about slabbed coins on eBay--they always draw more money, and usually they draw book value, whereas other grading companies are not respected on eBay USA. So, from an investing point of view, if you have a coin of apparent value (say you buy it raw and know you got a great deal), then if you slab it @ PCGS, you are almost certain to insure a tidy profit)--this has worked for me many times.

Anyone else care to give their max amount they would try to sell a coin for on eBay (according to the coin's value, raw or slabbed)?

perro

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file