Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1904-S Barber Half who's got them all?!!

OK, I need just one PCGS 1904-s Half in XF or better. I know Parrino has one but it's dark and fugly.

Where have these all gone? The Registry has just 9 sets! Not like there are thousands of Barber Half collectors out there or are there?

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw a very nice 1904-S in a PCGS holder, graded VF 30 the other day on e-bay. I was lucky enough to have a forum member notify me that he had a duplicate in PCGS AU 55, he has one in MS 67 PCGS , one in AU 55 ( which is the highlight of my set right now ) an XF 45, an XF 40,a VF 30 or 35 and a couple of raw lower grades. He has since sold off all of his duplicates except for his raw ones in VG or Fine.

I paid more than double trends for the AU 55, but his duplicate XF 40 sold on e-bay within seven minutes of it being posted on "BUY IT NOW". He sold it for $2,250 or so.

I have not seen Jay's coin. I heard he wants over $3K for it. Good luck to him. I hope he gets it, that way my coin just doubled in price within three months of my getting it.

I suggest you deal with a reputable dealer and have them keep an eye out for you. If I can be of any help, please PM me.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '04-S is known to be scarce in all grades. The January Population Report shows just 6 certified in XF, and only 5 in AU. If you want to go lower, there are 7 in VG-VF, or you can go higher and get one of the 20 mint state coins. Be happy you're not trying to find an '01-O half in a PCGS holder; there are only 6 PCGS graded coins in ALL circulated grades.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    ohbaby,

I have handled multiple PCGS certified 1904-S half dollars, but they are very tough to come by. Your best bet is to find an individual holding one that will sell it to you directly. I wish I had one for you right now. I was fortunate over the past 4-5 years to find some nice raw examples that I made into holders, but have sold them all. I am the individual referred to above and still hold my Norweb 1904-S in 67 and have sold my AU55, XF45, XF 40, and VF25 (upgraded later to VF30 and recently sold on eBay by another individual) coins, all in PCGS holders, to other collectors, mostly via eBay where they bring incredible bids. A decent 04-S in XF40-45 sells for $2200-2500 right now despite what the CDN Monthly Supplement says. By the way, I am the proud author of the cover article of the January, 2004 Montly Supplement entitled, "Mint State Barber Halves."

At this point I do have a nice ANACS F12 and a raw VF20 in my F/VF set, but no higher grades. My recommendation would be to find a dealer that handles a lot of barber material and ask them to help you find a nice 04-S raw or holdered. It can be done, but you will need luck and persistence.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    There's an ANACS Unc Details--Cleaned--Net AU50 in one of our sales; might be a good retoning project or short term pocket piece for the conservation-minded collector.
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    As in my pm to you I do have one for sale in PCGS45

dan
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two! image

Tyler
  • Options
    Hello, I see that you have a couple of 1904-S Barber Halfs. I am very interested. If you or know someone that has one for sale I am interested. Thanks a lot. Hope to hear from you.

Scott
  • Options
    I am interested in you PCGS 45 1904-S barber Half dollar. Thanks

Scott Mathison