Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would the slab market crash if....

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
Would the slab market crash if PCGS and NGC tightened up for a few months? As "not yet ready to be sold" coins built up in dealer inventories, it wouldn't take long for their cash flow to go from great to horrible. How long could the market hold on without the liquidity provided by these dealers?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    "If" they tightened up? You mean even more?

Russ, NCNE
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    No,

EurekaTrading would provide the market place!! image
    Wondo

• robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    The slab market would not crash. Prices would rise and the nicest coins out there, the ones people are waiting for the "right time" to sell, would begin to come out of the woodwork as a result of the rising valuations, and the market in fact would become "white hot". Of course, noone wants to submit when the services are tight (understandably) and they would HAVE to loosen back up.
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

If a proof 70 becomes a proof 64 and the buyback is $40,000 what will happen to the way Proof 70's are graded.Them there is alot of apples even for PCGS.

stewart
  • By "tightened up " do you mean get even more conservative ?
    The strict standards PCGS and NGC are using doesn't seem to
    be hurting the market at the moment.
    There seem to be enough collectors willing to pay a bit more for
    high-standards grading to justify the current standard.

I'm sure PCGS and NGC are astute enough that ,if the market
    took a plunge due to economic changes, they would adjust their
    prices to avoid a crash.
  • NicNic Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.... besides the immediate cash flow result all the "old" holder coins will soon be 1-2 point overgrades that nobody wants. K
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    No, not if they tightened up more. What would crash the slab market would be if they discovered that the slabs had a detrimental environmental impact on the coin or the guarantee was taken away.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    no. plastic collctors are not that smart.

K S
  • The market in already slabbed coins should be unaffected, shouldn't it? Personally I don't tie up hardly anything in coins I won't sell unless I could get them slabbed at a certain grade...
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As "not yet ready to be sold" coins built up in dealer inventories, it wouldn't take long for their cash flow to go from great to horrible.

hey Andy

they'd just content themselves with more dealer-to-dealer transactions. the better question might be seen in my soon at the top thread!!image

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file