Home U.S. Coin Forum

The rare $20 Libs are coming out of the woodwork...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
No sooner the FUN Heritage auction is over, the Long Beach auction is posted on the Heritage website. It appears that there is yet another complete set of $20 Libs for auction, this time including the 54-O and the 56-O, both in AU, 61-S Pacquet, and a lowly VF-25 70-CC. How many of the major rarities can the market absorb in such a short period of time?

Comments

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK: Yes, a lot of type ! Liberties. yes the market is absorbing them very well, some dates at definitely lower prices, due to Brother Jonathon, SS Central America and The Republic.

But this is only making the Type II $20 Liberties (1866-1876) stand out more and more as the rare ones to buy!

Even in the type I Libs, the 1861-O has virtually doubled in value in the past two years and is still very cheap.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • LokiLoki Posts: 897 ✭✭
    With the continuing decline of the value of the US dollar against major world currencies (record lows against the Euro), I would think more and more international buyers are using that leverage to buy tangible US rarities like classic coins and possibly currency which in turn continues to fuel increases in US prices. I believe this is one of the reasons why the market is easily absorbing these newly available rarities.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert,

That 54-O and 56-O are amazing rarities. Are you going for one of those?

John
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 54-O and 56-O are amazing rarities. Are you going for one of those?

Only if they come with a tent, sleeping bag, and port-a-potty!
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Only if they come with a tent, sleeping bag, and port-a-potty! >>

I bet that could be arranged.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I'm working on a $20 Lib set. All I need is more $$$$$. imageimage
    Wondo

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the coins from the SS Republic have something to do with this------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file