Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just cherried an 1879-S Morgan Second Reverse in MS63+

at Third Reverse money image

Comments

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sphinx357: Well done! Can we see a photo of it ??

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
    It's discernable, but I don't see that top arrow end slanted.
    It kinds looks like a 3rd Rev to me, but I'm not sure from the photo -- hard to determine concavity or convexity of eagle's breast in the photo.

Are you certain that it's a 2nd Rev ??

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Hope so.
  • I'm probably wrong, but only time will tell. Auction doesn't specify which reverse it is so there's a chance.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but that's the reverse of 1879 model... see the rounded breast?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Sure about that? Top arrow looks parallel to me.
    Sphinx: If you have a Red Book, take a look at the photos comparing the various Morgan reverses. The coin photo that you posted is the 3rd rev. -- it's got way too much top arrow feather (and angled) to be a 2nd rev.

But, you've got he right idea... Keep looking and you'll eventually find one (most likely raw).

Stuart

• IMO, this looks like the more common reverse of 1879 to me.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I don't believe this is a reverse of 78. Not only is the eagle breast rounded, but the top arrow does NOT appear to be parallel. No "Cherry" for you.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Hmm so this is 3rd reverse as well?
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmm so this is 3rd reverse as well?
    image >>

This one appears to be the reverse of 78. Concave (sunk in eagle breast) and parallel top arrow.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one is a reverse of 1878.

Now let's hope he's more accurate at grading than he is at variety attribution. (The coin looks suspicious to me; on my monitor the reverse appears to have been cleaned or wiped.)
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file