Home U.S. Coin Forum

Semi-OT: Adobe Photoshop won't open files of currency pics

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
This is creating quite an uproar on some of the photography discussion boards... Freedom of speech, deception, etc.
Link to story

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what I think of the actual purpose of the code but I find the concept of how the code detection works to be fascinating.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Apparently it's not new technology. There are some photocopiers that won't permit currency to be copied. Here's an Adobe pdf file with some info about it and the technology:
    Link
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    That has to be some sort of urban legend - an image is an image. Pixels are pixels. I don't get how any software can "read" the image and know it's currency, and simply not open the file. I can see how notes can be made very difficult to scan with curved lines that make a horrid pattern when scanned, but adding code to software that recognizes currency? I don't think so. I'd have to see that one for myself.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Pattern recognition is fairly commonly used. For example, fingerprints, facial recognition, retinal scans, etc. Don't know why you doubt it can be done. I don't have the new version of Photoshop (CS) to test it personally, but there are plenty of sources verifying its validity. Here are a couple more:
    AP News quoting Adobe themsleves
    Link to Adobe forum where first described
  • I've scanned currancy a number of times for selling notes, as well as in making "jokes" - putting someone's face on a one dollar bill and the like.

I use photoshop 5.5.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file