Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cheaper Priority Mail When Heavy

I inquired about the flat rate Priority Mail Envelopes at the PO today. I asked if it can put a box inside the envelope. The only criteria is you need to be able to close the envelope with it's own flap. You may add extra tape afterwards, but closing with it's own flap ensureas you dont use tape across an opening to expand the volume. When I ship lots of 5 proof or mint sets, this will save money!

Heritage used this to ship a heavy catelog. They were ready to burst!
Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    yep!
    if you can fit a load of firewood inside of one of them and get it sealed, they'll ship it for 3.95 or whatever it is.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yep!
    if you can fit a load of firewood inside of one of them and get it sealed, they'll ship it for 3.95 or whatever it is. >>

$3.85 image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • I love those envelopes too....
    Only when they don't break apart like this one that was sent to me.
    Tom
    <<Recieved Unsealed>> They should of just said "mangled and half you stuff is gone"
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I use those clothlike ones as a liner............seal the item in it..........then put in the cardboard one!
  • Goose
    If it works for you that's great. I still have an uneasy feeling in my stomach when a heavy or bigger items arrives in one.

Tom
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told by a local postal employee "as much as you can get into it witout taping it shut". I asumed this to mean that you can't use extra tape even on the seal.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • JohnsCoinsJohnsCoins Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    My post Master told me as much as I can get in the envelope and not more that 1 layer of tape. I have sent as many as 20 rolls of Lincoln cents at once. I add cardboard inside the envelope to reinforce it and try to secure the rolls so they don't move around. A couple of years age, My wife found a Post Office that had a bunch of half size flat rate envelopes. The clerk gave them all to her because no one used them. 10 rolls fit in them just right. I have sent around 100 of these packages and haven't lost anything.

John
  • Remember the Baltimore Catalogs sent by Bowers, it made it to me, but my post office wouldnt go for it when I sent it to a forum member! They said, "not all post offices have the same policy"!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I've had similar experiences as wallstreetman. My usual post office never complains about overstuffed Flat Rate Prio envelopes. Occsasionally, I used to go to another post office, and they would accept any with more than 1 piece of tape. I asked for his supervisor and got the smug answer "I am the supervisor."
  • sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    Yes but if you use insureance registered is cheaper. I name can be deceiving, priority travels the same was as regular mail.

• << <i>Yes but if you use insurance, registered is cheaper. >>

I don't think you can send a seven pound (20 rolls of lincolns) package by registered mail for $3.95 Or make it a 100 oz silver bar (which happens to be almost exactly the same as 20 rolls of copper Lincolns.) With Insurance (value of $700 assumed) in a flat rate envelope the fee is $13.15, for Registered it would be $16.50
  • Priority is a waste of money, unless your talking holiday time!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    A thread with images that I started on the exact same subject just about exactly a year ago.

Priority mailer thread
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    CD
    Excellent idea with the inserts. I think with the way you "formed" the stryofoam to fit the envelope is one of the main reason the package holds up to the "post office fling". A smaller item flying around in a envelope wouldn't hold.

Great idea
    Tom
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>CD
    Excellent idea with the inserts. I think with the way you "formed" the stryofoam to fit the envelope is one of the main reason the package holds up to the "post office fling". A smaller item flying around in a envelope wouldn't hold.

Great idea
    Tom >>

Thanks - I figured the same thing, which is why I wanted to make the package secure. This method takes one single strip of tape across the flap for security, but other than that - nothing.

The other great benefit is that if I have the rolls in paper (not tubes) and they are packed tightly, the package doesn't rattle and there's no damage out the back end - to the package or the coins.

I have seen where some people have tried to take heavy packages to the P.O. like this and they were refused. Simply ask to speak to the manager or postmaster if a clerk doesn't know their job. They are required to send the package for $3.85 if you met the envelope closure rules...period.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file