Home U.S. Coin Forum

dipping copper coins??

I have a question to any penny collector. What is the proper way to dip a copper penny and still retain its original look? Without it turning pink or any other odd color ect.

Comments

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    use acetone

or, and it may not be recomended by all numismatistists, but a product called Goo Gone
    seems to clean copper cents without turning them odd colors.
  • PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the proper way to dip a copper penny and still retain its original look? >>

Very, very carefully, and only if you know exactly what you are doing - I know many here will disagree with me, but I have seen acetone give copper an unnatural look - not often, but I've seen it happen. Think twice, no three times, before dipping any quality copper coin - once the damage is done, it cannot be undone - well at least not for 50 to 100 years if you are only playing around with brown copper; red copper, never. Why do you think even NCS only shows one copper coin in its gallery of "conserved coins" out of almost fifty coins - one copper Lincoln cent?

Where's the copper?
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    For the most part, copper is rarely improved by doing anything to it. BU copper seems to hold up to acetone, but as pushkin said, it occassionally has been known to cause discoloration. Acidic dips are always bad. Goo gone seems to help some on BN copper.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mineral oil works best. In fact red copper coins of mine have been stored in mineral oil since 1969. It works. It brings back the original machine oils used in the lubrication of the die parts.

The mineral oil is inert and does not alter the surface of the copper coins. It can however absorb some of the lighter layers of oxidation (pre toning) and in effect diable them.

I have been successful 100% of the time in getting mineral oil soaked copper graded by PCGS.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I have to say it:

DON'T DO IT!!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper doesn't dip well. Don't do it.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Pushkin is absolutely right on about copper and acetone.....Ken
  • gcoingcoin Posts: 238 ✭✭
    Thanks for all your help guys. Very wise advice. I was practicing on junk lincolns.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file