Home U.S. Coin Forum

New 1954 D Frankie Purchase, FBL?

Hi folks, just picked up this 54 D Frankie in a NGC MS66.
It's not listed on the slab but was wondering if it would make FBL.
Coin isn't to pretty but it is what it is.
Tom image

Comments

• XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    From here, it looks FBL. It's hard to see the bottom set of lines. I understand that NGC is much more anal about FBL, with both pairs of lines need ing to be full.

I bet it's pretty lustrous and colorful in hand. Nice coin!

• TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Thanks for the opinion Pipe.
    I'm taking a shot at this one. Paid $120, so I'll find out when it's delivered.
    Tom
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    I'll start by saying 120 for a NGC ms66 54d is a very decent price, so you didn't do wrong there.

If your thinking of crossing to PCGs, make sure you examine this one for hits, bagmarks and strike weakness very thoroughly.

PCGs really doesn't like dark Franklins. Unless they do have strong luster underneath. Now I know some here will say wait a minute, PCGs has holdered many dark franklins in GEM, yes they have, but at this stage a very dark blah coin is a negative and really isn't the 'PCGs look' for a coin in a six holder.

This one also appears FBL to me, but a better more close up image would be helpful.....

If this one went into a PCGs ms66fbl holder you will make out like a bandit....

I bought a very nicely toned 1948d ms65fbl Frankie in a NGC holder. Upon inspection of the coin I felt ms65 was the correct grade and that maybe the rainbows could give it a bump into a six holder, in other words, it would not have looked out of place in a six holder.

I cracked it and sent it in to PCGs and they gave me a ms64fbl. I re-examined the coin and knew they missed the boat on this one, I cracked it again and now its in a ms65fbl holder and deserving of the GEM status. Even though this coin had some rainbows, it was alittle on the dark side.....

If you feel this one has a good shot at a six holder and FBL, then its worth the $16 economy grading fee to try and find out....

In my experience with NGC crossovers/crackouts, the toned coins seem to cross, the brilliant NGC coins seem to come in a grade lower with PCGs, especially anything from the 60s.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    I want to add, if the coin really isnt a strong ms66fbl cross candidate, nothing wrong with leaving it as is in the NGC holder.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Really need to see that bottom line a little clearer before an solid opinion can be generated.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file