Home U.S. Coin Forum

Remember this 16d Merc and 16 SLQ...

MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
Grades from ANACS
1916 SLQ AU Details, NET EF40 Cleaned
1916-D Merc PVC (not graded)

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I've often wondered why they won't just give the PVC coins a quick bath in acetone for you and then slab the thing!?????

Would it be that hard to call you and ask if you'd like that done?? They could even charge something for that.

• Ouch!
    Formely known as kamehameha00
  • That Sucks!! image
  • FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SLQ has AU details? that shield looks almost smooth,but hey maybe thats a way to give a fair shake on a cleaned coin, and the 16d, that sucks, guess it needs a bath and another trip through the mail.
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

The SLQ can't be with AU detail. It is at best an EF detail. Since the obverse is usually weak struck, check the reverse. The reverse is EF detail or VF30 detail.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    I guess it pays to give coins the acetone bath prior to shipment.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Newb question here....what does it mean that the 16D is PVC?
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Poly vinal chloride. It is a softener in plastic that leaches onto a coin. It is in soft plastic flips and if left for an extended period of time, the coin will have "PVC damage", typically a dark green colored sludge on the coin. Grading services won't slab PVC damaged coins.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    No Polyvinylchloride is the PLASTIC. The softener is a phenylated oil. The oil leaches out and gets on the coins. The oil absorbs moisture from the air and gaseous decomposition materials from the plastic. Damage is caused by the combination of the HCl given off by the plastic and the moisture. The oil act to hold those next to the coin rather than letting them dispurse. Without the oil, PVC is harmless but brittle and flips made from it would not last long. When the sevices say a coin has PVC on it, they really mean they see a film of oil on it. (Unless the oil is already turning green, (green slime) or the corrosion caused by green slime is visible.) This is why some times coins removed diectly from modern proof sets (which contain no PVC) are sometimes bagged for having PVC on them. The injection molds that create the proof set shels are coated with an oil (mold slip) so the plastic will release from them. If too much oil is use or the plastic is not properly cleaned the oil can transfer to the coins. The oil itself is actually harmless, but the services don' check to see what the oil is, they see it, and bag the coin for PVC.
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SLQ has AU details? that shield looks almost smooth,but hey maybe thats a way to give a fair shake on a cleaned coin, and the 16d, that sucks, guess it needs a bath and another trip through the mail. >>

Amazing! At least the SLQ was certified genuine, although if it were not the key date it might be VF-30 elsewhere.

Does ANACS slab for authenticity only when no grade is requested even when there is PVC damage?

Why don't PCGS and ANACS employ coin doctors like NCS/NGC? Are they that committed to supporting the USPS for resubmissions or do they simply try to collect a second grading fee, assuming that your "conservation" skills are better than theirs?
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Those are still very nice coins and shouldn't be a problem for any collector in a set!!!
    Bummer on the 16-D. Send it to NCS and see what they can do!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does ANACS slab for authenticity only when no grade is requested even when there is PVC damage? >>

I believe PVC is the ONLY reason, other than authenticity, that ANACS will "bag" a coin!
  • ANACS will bag a coin that has "active" PVC contamination (The oil slime on it.) But they will slab the coins once the oil has been removed, even if there is damage from the past PVC exposure present.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were a copper coin it would be best to bathe the coin in mineral oil to rid the coin of PVC. For silver coins acetone should work. looks liek it is most on the rims. The 1916-D dime does not look unattractive.

The 1916 quarter well....that is another story.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    Goose3 - slabbing companies will not remove PVC for you (NCS excluded) companies have no desire to clean coins. I can bet that the second they do it someone will sue them for damaging their coins.

• << <i>companies have no desire to clean coins. I can bet that the second they do it someone will sue them for damaging their coins. >>

Has happened. Years back (in the pre- curation/conservation days ) in a Coin World interview PCGS admitted that oh yes,they had sometimes dipped coins submitted to them. They caught a lot of flak from the collecting community and at least one person did lodge complaints that they had dipped some of his coins and damaged them. I don't know if he ever filed a suit over the matter, but shortly thereafter PCGS did a complete 180 degree turnaround stating that they had never dipped any coins submitted to them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file