Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone gotten an eBay message like this.............

Dear eBay user,

As stated in the User Agreement, Section 41.1, we may send you this email.
After the multiple frauds registered lately, our company has initiated a study regarding this problem. In this study the company has reached the conclusion that most of the frauds were possible because of the low email service security level .
For a best deployment of our further activities (the frauds prevention) our company has decided to test for free the security of the email services that you (our users) use.
Hoping you have understood that we are doing all these for your own safety and for the good deployment of the relations between our company and its parteners we suggest you to acces the following form to test your e-mail:
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?TestEmail&bpuser=0

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards, Security eBay (Security Department)
eBay Inc
Thank you for using eBay!

IT HAD ATTACHMENTS TO IT. I MISSED COPYING THEM...image
What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a scam/virus.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    EBAY WILL NEVER ASK YOU TO FOLLOW A LINK IN AN EMAIL.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The salutation is the tipoff:

<< <i>Dear eBay user >>

A real eMail will use your eBay ID.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    typical scam trojan invite ~ I get an average of two viruses emailed to me daily and dozens of subseven attempts on my ports as well... Ebay only sends emails when they want money image
  • Options
    Man 'o' man, these characters can come up with'em!
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    deployment is a very unusual word to use.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm....I thought only the President of the United States can use the term deployment.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    There is another one that looks like this...

-----------------
    Hello,

Dear member,

eBay Security Department have investigated logins from ip 212.156.4.69 and 212.156.4.68 with your account.

The Department reported that they are worried that your account might have been stolen and some one may be access your eBay ID and password.

It might have been captured by spy software that some one put in your machine,So...

We put your account under security mode (not restricted) ,

and you should follow some steps to secure your account.

1- You should update your account in our SSL server to prevent it from to be remotely accesed by anyone(Secure Accounts Server) click the link to update http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Verify&your?account

2- Wait 24 hours to detecting and routing of remote logins machine and you will be e-maild from support@ebay.com to continue using our service.

3-Try to re-setup your operating system and delete all files you suspect in.

With Best Wishes,

eBay Security Department Assistant,

Richard Michael.
    -------------------

When you hit the link it brings you to the eBay login with the URL starting with http://www.hongkong.com.ru

If you type in a user/pass (it will accept anything), it brings you to an account screen that asks you for credit card #, routing #, mother's maiden name, etc. This page appears to be hosted by eBay, but is not. The scam is pretty well done, but the web site is no longer up.

-Leon
  • Options
    Yeah I got it today to. Forwarded it onto spoof@ebay.com.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a scam. eBay never addresses you as "dear eBay user". They will always use your name.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    parteners

What is a partener ? I am sure the mighty useless Ebay has money for spell checkers.

Richard Michael

First names of the two scam artists ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file