Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Future price of 2003 Proof American Silver Eagles???

GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
Just curious, where do you see the price in the future (6-12 months) of the 2003 Proof ASE? This past year, they sold out from the US Mint. Is that any indication? Do you see the 2003 Proofs jumping to $100, like a few of the previous years (such as the 1993, and 1994)? I have seen prices rising some on eBay lately for the 2003 Proofs. They are averaging nearly $38.

One reason for asking, is my local dealer still has a bunch at $24/each. I am thinking about buying some, and hanging on to them for a year. Crazy?

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I can say with absolute certainty that the value will either go up, stay the same, or go down.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I predict that the price of bullion coins will be closely linked to precious metal prices.
  • Options
    If nothing else, you could buy some and sell them on eBay since there seems to be a profit to be made.

Steve
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

You can see they aren't flawed.....so it's a low risk deal. Might be tough to buy enough from him to make it worthwhile, without him changing the price.

• Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Yea, I know........asking people to predict the future price of coins is taboo. I was going to state that at least they won't go down in price, and I lose money. But Russ is right - they will either go up, stay the same, or go down. image

I guess what I was looking for, was what was the criteria and situation regarding the 1993 and 1994 Proof ASE's that caused them to rise over $100/each? Was it a sell-out year at the US Mint? Lower mintage? Unusual spike in demand those 2 years? Etc...
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>was what was the criteria and situation regarding the 1993 and 1994 Proof ASE's that caused them to rise over $100/each? >>

Probably the same criteria that has kept the 1992 down around $30 even though the mintage isn't that much higher. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    There seems to be no rhyme or reason to Proof SAE prices - and I've done some research. You would think that mintage would be the sole input to the price - not so.

The 1994 is the most valuable and the lowest mintage, 1993 is next. 1988 for some reason is the next valuable at roughly $90 each, even though they minted more 88's than any other year in the 90's. Like Russ said, they minted only slightly more '92s than '93s and '94s - and less '92s than '88s, yet the '92 still sits at $30 even though the other range from $90-$120. I can't figure out the discrepency in value, I'm just holding a ton of '92s. Why is the '88 so much? Well, it was the last year for the brighter purple box I guess.

I have a pretty in-depth excel sheet that judges and assigns expected values to MS and proof SAEs.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    At current price levels vs. mintage, '92s and '98s are great values compared to the rest. The mintage for the '89s is fairly high but you can still get those at sometimes less than issue price - and there's FAR fewer of those than any eagle proof minted after 2000.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    Look at prices for the 1999 and newer silver proof sets. Makes about as much sense.image
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file