Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Using weight to positively identify coins

krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
There was an interesting article in CW that proposed the use of very accurate weight information as a way to identify specific coins even after they become toned (or untoned, as the case may be!). The author suggests that a coin's weight in grams to four decimal places is sufficient to identify a particular coin over time. This method could be used to track coins for pedigree purposes.

He went so far as to calculate the additional weight that toning would add (did you know blue toning is the heaviest?), showing that it would not affect the weight within the four decimal places.

This method obviously requires a highly accurate scale, and such scales are available for under $2000. This is no doubt out of hobbyist range, but considering you can get them with RS-232 interfaces which would connect directly to a computer, it would certainly be appropriate for, let's say, a major third-party grading service. The interface would make it trivially easy to record weights in a database and even put on the label if desired, and could be a good selling point for being able to positively identify coins over time for pedigree tracing or other purposes.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Comments

• Options
    As Arte Johnson would say, "veeeeeerrry interesting." image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    But, given only 4 decimal places, there are only so many weights for many more coins, there will be repeats. But, the chances of two similar coins having the same weight is small, but not 0
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    They should add identifying marks on the coin also. That's what they do with diamonds.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    what would the purpose of this be?

I bet you if I dip a toned coin - with the color and a little of the surface on the coin, it will weigh less than it did before

and definitely more than 0.0001 grams less
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    tough to weigh coins in slabs

K S
  • Options
    Weight would definintely change over time. How could it ever work?
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The author believes that the weight of a coin is indeed stable, even allowing for eventual toning which may occur.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Given that we are talking about accuracy that can almost detect the weight of toning, I would have to agree that the weight of the coin is going to change. Simply touching the coin will change it's weight by either adding oils and dirt from your skin, rubbing off dirt and contaminates, etc.

But the concept is still valid as another way to help identify the coin. Just like using marks to identify a particular coin (which can change as the coin is handled), weight is another way to HELP identify a coin.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    0.0001 gram is an extremely small increment. I have an electronic scale that's accurate to 0.01 grams, and that is so accurate that I can't seem to use the information. I mean, how much weight does a coin lose through normal circulation??

I hope TPGs, if they decide to use this method, also make sure they balance and calibrate their scales frequently.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I would think just different humidity and condensation of water from the air would change the weight of the coin probably more tha 0.0001 grams on a weekly basis

Does this guy recommend storing your coins in a vacuum chamber?
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I remember using those scales (accurate to 0.0001 grams) in chemistry class in collage. They are so sensitive that air blowing accross the scale can change the reading (hence why these scales have doors to enclose the item being measured).

But again, scales could be used as a tool to HELP identify a coin. For this to become a helpful aid, it would be necessay to first study hundreds of coins so that you could learn the distribution of weights (i.e. what is the average difference in weights of similar coins) and how much the weight of a coin varies over time because of handling (because of body oils and dirt).

I would think just different humidity and condensation of water from the air would change the weight of the coin probably more tha 0.0001 grams on a weekly basis

image condensation on my coins!!! Don't want that...
    but seriously, I don't think humidity would have much of an effect the measurements, other than how it might effect the operation of the machine. The metal of the coins wouldn't be absorbing water from the air (like say a piece of paper might).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file