Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dillema ...solved 1909s vdb

If you read my previous two posts as to my story about the fake 1909s vdb Lincoln Cent, I took the coin back to the dealer I bought it from and he cheerfully refunded my money. I found alittle bit of a story behind the coin. It was purchased by this dealer in a set from a gentleman whose wife had passed away and was an avid collector. He said that the woman bought the coin from a major coin dealer (I think?? he said Bowers and Ruddy??) 30 some odd years ago. Said the guy had the original bill of sale. Anyway, the dealer said that he will not hassle the old gentleman about the fake and was just going to add it to his counterfeit bow and take it off the market. Anyway, he just completely boosted his credibility with me with his honesty. There are some honest people left in the world I guess....some are harder to findthan most tho. To show that there were no hard feelings, I bought a Stone Mountain comemerative Half (low grade) and a 1955 Franklin (solid fine)

Comments

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭
    Good for you and good for him. Although I'd be a little concerned that it got past him in the first place. The diagnostics for an S-VDB are pretty clear.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    You have found a good dealer. Patronize him often...Ken
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Glad things worked out for you.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Fantastic!!

I wish I had a dealer like that in my neighborhood...then again I never had to take a coin back, so I wouldn't know either way.

Glad everthing turned out alright.
    Tom
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Please post the name of this dealer on here and his website address if he has one!

Great story!
  • Options
    There are still good dealers out there.
  • Options
    slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Frenchies...in Monroe Michigan...He doesen't do the internet thing..Hates it actually...says it takes alot of business away from him..
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He doesen't do the internet thing..Hates it actually...says it takes alot of business away from him.. >>

Anybody else see the irony in that? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Incidentally, Monroe is the boyhood home of this guy.

Link to pic.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are some honest people left in the world I guess....some are harder to weed out than most >>

Why would you want to weed them out? image

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Is that good or bad? that is the Custer thing.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I am glad it worked out for you -

not all dealers go out of their way to scr$w their customers

not all dealers know the diagnostics of all the key date counterfeits to be able to tell whether real deal or really nice die struck copy

for most - like this one I am sure - it is buy/sell/buy/sell with a 20-30% mark-up on everything and all inventory owned
  • Options
    Sorry...just learning english after 46 years....
  • Options
    A nice ending to a story for the start of the new year
  • Options
    ttt...for the morning readers
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something here? It makes this guy a "good" dealer if he sells you a fake and gives you your money backimage-------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Glad to hear it worked out, and thanks for thinking of us, the morning reader (err.. in my case, lunch hour reader!)
    Tim
  • Options
    slothman2000 - Can you give me info on this dealer - I live in the Detroit Metro area and would love to give him some business.
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    I bought a raw 1909-S V.D.B. from my local dealer. It was red and looked ms-64. I sent it to PCGS and it was bodybagged (? color). NGC bodybagged it too. I told him about it (now 3 months later), and he immediately refunded my money. It eventually ended up ms-63 red in a PCI holder. When he sold it, he told the buyer about its bodybag history.

This dealer continues to be one of the few people that I buy raw coins from. Very honest and fair prices.

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS and it was bodybagged (? color). NGC bodybagged it too....It eventually ended up ms-63 red in a PCI holder. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Good ending.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file