Home U.S. Coin Forum

The solution to shorten grading times

Simply raise the grading fees. If a 20% fee increase decreases submissions by 15% PCGS still comes out ahead - and so do submitters

Higher fees= fewer submissions = faster turn around time
My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    or alot of higher paying,higher degree of irrate customers with torches adn pitchforks ready to stone the ever living. . . out of the PCGS people. for the higher rates i believe the people should at least 1 good courtasy jab with the pitchfork if everythign is still late. enough jabs with the fork would get them moving faster
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    For crying out loud relayer...at $30 a pop for a "guaranteed" 15 day turnaround that means NOTHING(Guaranteed) and insured shipping fees both ways how much more of this do you think everyboby will take before they realize this is insane? The boss gets on here and tells us turnaround time on the economy tier has improved to about 35 days one week and the next week it's it's more like 65 days...15 day guaranteed becomes a month because of holidays and events such as the FUN show in Florida whereas I suppose even though there is a terrible backlog of work-EVERYBODY at PCGS has to go....C' mon man! The solution is expansion and doubling the workforce, maybe even tripling. We are already paying too much for people's "opinions"! PCGS is as fat as Garfield. They need to expand and hire a lot more qualified graders or re-train them...better still, get rid of all the overworked, strained to the gills, human graders and let computers grade precisely in 3-D at a lot faster pace. THIS would speed everything up and cut down on all the human eror from being overworked! That's the answer! It may not be popular but it sure is plausible and I believe before long,as is the case in many field, this is what it WILL COME to! This will surely come to pass before we pass away. Think about it!
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Only accept coins dated pre 1964 would cut down alot of the submissions too.
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165

<< <i>Only accept coins dated pre 1964 would cut down alot of the submissions too. >>

Heck, I bet even cutting out coins dated prior than 1999 would cut submissions in half.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it pre-63 and cut Russ out of the equation.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    A very simple solution would be to accept submissions only from authorized dealers, and remove the guaranty. Dealers are business people, and although they want prompt service, they'll wait as long as they must to realize the best return.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Boom, I direct you over to the Q&A forum, where I asked David Hall about expanding their operation to handle the volume of submissions. Go there and read his response...
    -George
    42/92
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I know how to do it! Have a grading contest and offer the top three jobs grading moderns at PCGS. mike image
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I did my part, I stopped sending in AU58s!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Simply raise the grading fees >>

bingo.

simple, elegant, & painfully obvious solution.

K S
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Hi George, I've been to the Q&A Forum and read it all. Let's just say my mouse is loaded with lethal quotes, Take care!image
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    no new taxes....no new taxes...no new taxes

sing it!

anyone remember the words to kumbuya?
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple solution: ANACS five day service at $15. per coin.

peacockcoins

• DHeath, you would love that wouldnt you!

Braddick, I wouldnt give ANACS $5 for same day service!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • I think I'll wait it out and have qualified people looking at my coins!
  • Sounds to me like to much greed. The company is making millions but doesn't want to hire more graders. What gives???
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    More graders is the ultimate solution, but those hired must be qualified for it. That's probably a pretty small pool of individuals.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • LUCKOFTHEIRISH, Why do you think PCGS graders make $250,000 a year?

<< <i>Sounds to like to much greed. The company is making millions but donesn't want to hire more graders. What gives??? >>

They don't want to hire just anyone. I am all for that I don't want to see pcgs to turn into anacs.
  • I don't think they make that much but, the company acts like they make that much. That is where the greed comes in.

<< <i>I don't think they make that much but, the company acts like they make that much. That is where the greed comes in. >>

Thats the starting wage they advertised when they were looking for new graders last summer or close to that.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mgoodm3
    I was thinking the same,there are no qualified graders available..to meet PCGS standards.I will wait the time it takes for turnaround,and knowing im receiveng the best qualified.
    Al
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    "Wallstreetman said: "LUCKOFTHEIRISH, Why do you think PCGS graders make $250,000 a year? "

They do? And where did you obtain those facts?

I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • They should only accept a coin once for grading. Heck, if they'd get it right the first time there shouldn't be any need to ever resubmit anything. Once the coin is graded it should be counterstamped with the letters PCGS on both the obverse and reverse to prevent it from ever being resubmitted. Turnaround times would be greatly reduced and everyone would be happy.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< I don't think they make that much but, the company acts like they make that much. That is where the greed comes in. >>

Thats the starting wage they advertised when they were looking for new graders last summer or close to that. >>

No, it wasn't the "starting" wage. The advertisement said up to $20,000 per month.

Russ, NCNE
  • Stop putting moderns and high pop coins in plastic! That's the solution!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and so do submitters >>

How do I come out ahead paying 20% more?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

<< <i>

<< <i><< I don't think they make that much but, the company acts like they make that much. That is where the greed comes in. >>

Thats the starting wage they advertised when they were looking for new graders last summer or close to that. >>

No, it wasn't the "starting" wage. The advertisement said up to $20,000 per month.

Russ, NCNE >>

Yeah, that was the number HRH mentioned over in Q&A the other night. There must be some major money being made in the crackout end of things if they're having trouble finding graders at nearly a quarter million a year.

Russ, NCNE

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=200786&STARTPAGE=1
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    That "starting" wage of $240K was corrected in another thread. The ad said "up to".

Russ, NCNE
    So bfd image
  • A good friend of mine was a PCGS grader and believe me they are well paid. Of course one has to consider that 99.99% of what comes through is pure crap and you have to sit there for hours grading a piece of crud every 7.5 seconds. After a while you'd have to use those big paychecks simply to cover your phychiatric bills! If you're good you can make as much or more money playing the slab game from the outside and do it with a whole lot less grief.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stop putting moderns and high pop coins in plastic! That's the solution! >>

carefull, you'll make joyofmoderns mad. he posted to this thread as "wallstreetman"

K S
  • RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Randomly assign grades w/o bothering to look at the coin (yeah, yeah, they do that already). Most people buy the plastic anyway. They could even put the coin in a solid black holder with just a clear window for the insert.....

Wait! I just invented an new market. OK guys this is now copyrighted --- INSERT COLLECTING AND TRADING. Eliminate those pesky coins; they cause confusion. Just slab inserts. Only produce X amount of inserts with big numbers being the fewest; only one or two MS68 to MS70 inserts per category per year, a few more 65 - 66 and a whole bunch below that.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I'll wait it out and have qualified people looking at my coins! >>

Thank you, FanOfModerns!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file