Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

GOETZ: Opus 134 Final new arrival

Opus 134: THE MOBILIZATION OF THE GERMAN ARMY (Auf die Deutsche Mobilmachung). 1914, Cast AE, 75mm. Rare WWI piece.

Inscription on the obverse, “He, who desires to remain firm and unmoved…” Inscription on the reverse, “…will burst open the vaults of heaven, to him all spirits shall bow; and exclaim: come, oh come and take, you take but your own. Ernst Moritz Arndt.” To the 2nd of August 1914.

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Atlas need some undies!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    The glass is half full!
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    I guess it is true that steroids are not to friendly to parts down under.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Atlas need some undies!
    Yeah, this from a king whose whose cultural mores dictated their women be dressed in so many layers of skirt that a stiff wind scattered them like seed pods (which they resembled)image

Cacheman-one of my favorites! The imagery is top-notch on both obverse and reverse. image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Another beauty!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Well.. I am talking admiration and envy, is envy spelled correctly?

If not, then look it up and post my "envy", and appreciation for a great collection here.

ps: please limit the spell check to 25 countries....... I have already Hi-jacked an important thread.

If you did not understand, the above, then try to realise I am in a stunded state with your collect.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Very nice - I wonder what the fireballs on the obverse stand for and the bull he is throwing///
    Shep
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Very attractive indeed! I'm afraid, though, that I'm not really up on the background to this. The mobilization was big news, but the quote is odd. It sounds more pagan than the Catholic Goetz was. I'm unfamiliar with Arndt and his work and I suspect that knowledge would provide more insight.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • The interesting thing is that when war was announced almost everyone cheered at the prospect of war.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    "...to him all spirits shall bow; and exclaim: come, oh come and take, you take but your own. Ernst Moritz Arndt.”

In line with what Geek said, the populace was apparantly very eager to take up arms to right any perceived injustices.

I believe the above translation is slightly misleading. I believe the last part of the sentence would be more appropriately understood as "... come and take...you, take your own." in the sense of 'come, take what belongs to you'. And that would be consistent with the war mood.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Actually, the French were as eager to go to war, as were a great many Brits. There was far less appetite for war afterwards.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Another great medal Cacheman! Laurent voiced an interesting point; unlike most medals this is another Goetz that is collectable for both sides. It's probably why he's so interesting to look at, there's no "throwaway" side that looks like it was done by an apprentice.

Very cool... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)