Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sharp strike vs. weak strike, which would you choose ?

Hypothetical situation,
You find two coins of the same year and mintmark.
#1 is weakly struck but has few visible problems.
#2 is sharply struck but has several marks and scratches.
Both coins cost the same.
Which would you choose for your collection ?

Skipper

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Neither, I don't do problem coins.

I'd wait for another.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I would probably take the sharp strike, but it all depends on the series.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The one that looks the best to you, or both if they both look good.image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    I also don't believe in buying problem coins, but if I had to choose I'd pick the weak strike.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on overall eye appeal I guess. I have an 1857 quarter which has a really crappy strike but absolutely killer toning. Had to have it, it was too pretty.
  • Options
    I'd take the sharply struck coin that had a few problems.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options

I tend to favor strong strike/early die state. As long as the "problems" weren't spots, I'd probably go with the strong strike.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Neither, but just to give you an answer I would pick the coin with the best surface, i.e. the weak strike without the marks & scratches.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of sharp strike; how many and how bad are the marks and scratches?

I guess my answer would depend on the specific coin. sorry for the non-commital reply.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I'd wait for the 3rd coin to arrive on the market
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Part of this discussion for me depends also on what series we're talking about. Franklins and Peace dollars are especially lousy coins with a weak strike. Other series I feel strike is not as important, such as Walkers and Morgan dollars. The detail is always pretty good on these coins and in my opinion never really adds or detracts from the coin unless it is really poorly struck.

I know that someone will say "I've got to see the hand on my Walker or I'll just hate it." IMO, it's not that important.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know that someone will say "I've got to see the hand on my Walker or I'll just hate it." IMO, it's not that important. >>

Man, I've just got to see the hand on my Walker.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I know that someone will say "I've got to see the hand on my Walker or I'll just hate it." IMO, it's not that important. >>

Man, I've just got to see the hand on my Walker.image >>

Absolutely!!!!!!image At least it's important if you specialize in Walkers!image
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    If it were an older coin that was made in an earlier period say the 1800's or before it wouldn't bother me much either way. I would take into consideration the minting capability of the day and the way coins were shipped in those times.

I probably would pass either of these problems on the newer coin issues unless the coin happened to be outstanding in some respect.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file