Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who else is reluctant to bid at Ebay "anymore"?

I can hardly believe all the counterfeit and fake coins being sold at Ebay. Not only that, people are stealing other's photo's and listing it as their own auction. This is just a small sampling of the fraud being conducted at Ebay. How long can Ebay exist with this type of conduct? Won't this eventually include Ebay as a defendant in present and future suits.? How can this type of behavior continue without some type of control by Ebay. Ebay can continue to deny, deny and deny, but eventually they will realize that unless they do something no one will bid anymore. I realize that other issues have been raised and certified that Ebay is not a party to these frauds, but still they are the avenue to the problems and must address them at some point. Comments please! Lawyers please comment!

Ogden

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'm not reluctant as much as I've just not found anything interesting there to buy that I'm looking for. And I never trust raw on ebay. Not anymore. As with most businesses, they are taking the profit they can now. If, in the end, it sinks them they'll adjust the pricing and go from there. Give enough incentives and people will come right back.
  • Options
    You've always got NumisAuctions.com which is now Live... go there if you want to buy your coins... but personally, I decided that unless I knew the seller and trusted them, I was only going to buy certified coins on EBay...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    OgdenOgden Posts: 435
    George, I'm with you. Unless I know the seller and the feedback is perfect I won't bid.

Thanks for your comments.

Ogden
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I don't worry about it. But, most of what I buy I know pretty well and I'm not spending much.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont buy any larger dollar items on E-bay anymore unless I know the seller. Not worth it, with so much fraud.

Also, several buyers are starting to get wiery. I listed an item from my personal collection yesterday for 8500.00 and guy wanted to buy it, but was real nervous about the transaction. Cant say I blame em. After giving him my persoanl information and contact phone number and tradin references contacts to make him feel at ease, we came to an understanding.

Its going to get harder to sell larger dollar items as time goes on, or such a hassle to conduct larger transactions on e-bay.

jim
  • Options
    Russ you are one of the exceptions. You are any expert in your field. There aren't many like you who have the savy to look at something and can detect problems. Most of us can't.

Ogden
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to buy raw coins on ebay from the sellers I know. Mostly rolls.

Certified coins, I have had decent luck with ebay. Again the sellers reputation and insisting on a return priviledge is important.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With record revenues (and earnings) every quarter for eBay, it appears to not be much of a problem.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There aren't many like you who have the savy to look at something and can detect problems. Most of us can't. >>

Ogden,

Only in the stuff that I know, which is a pretty narrow focus. I could easily get screwed if I stepped out of my little area of knowledge. I think if somebody stays focused on what they understand, eBay is relatively safe.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ, I believe that your little narrow lane of expertise is actually quite wide!! Don't be so humble.

Ogden
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I have not hit a real bad buying experience yet. I am cautious of whose auctions I bid on. Recently bought a batch of 6 "BU" Ikes for $16, 3 were low end Unc, 2 were AU50, 1 was blatently wizzed. I contacted the seller, who I suspect knew the grades. He offered an immediate $5 refund, which I accepted as easier than a return.

I think it is in e-bay's interest to keep fraud as low as possible. However, I think blaming e-bay for the fraud is like blaming highways for speeding or DUIs.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Not I, for I live there. It's a matter of preference!...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be the first to admit that Ebay can suck A$$ if dealt with wrong. On the flip side though, research the seller...research his auctions...bid smart...bid careful and ebay can be a great asset. Just don't do anything without knowing, not thinking you know, but actually knowing what the circumstances are. I'm with a bunch of other guys here...pretty much only get slabbed coins on ebay...makes it much easier and less to worry about.
  • Options
    Brian, I agree, I'm not blaming Ebay for the frauds, but it's their business and if they want it to continue it might be a good idea to address the fraud issues. Incidentally at least the highways have the "Highway Patrol" what does ebay have???

Ogden
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I don't do Ebay. I generally stick to dealers that I'm familiar with. If I pay a little more, oh well.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sellers on Ebay are very confusing. They will put page after page of coins that individually are nothing more than junk silver, or common as sand worn coins. What is the purpose? Where is the profit?

Barber halves have over 900 listings. If the coin isn't a $1000.00+ MS example, it is a $5.00 AG one.

Maybe some flea market somewhere in California is turning away the dregs and the are all going to Ebay? LOL

Tyler
  • Options
    The real problem I see are the folks who are stealing the photo's from actual auctions. How can you prevent this? It seems that this is pretty easy do to, and just adding up auctions to show good feedback and for the "big hit" seems simple enough. Sorry, I have just become pesimistic. Can you even count on slabbed coins anymore? How hard would it e to doctor a slab which has been cracked out??

Ogden

Maybe I need a drink!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Only in the stuff that I know, which is a pretty narrow focus. I could easily get screwed if I stepped out of my little area of knowledge. I think if somebody stays focused on what they understand, eBay is relatively safe.

Russ, NCNE >>

This is not just true with respect to eBay, but with all other venues as well. It never ceases to amaze me how many people spend tons of money without doing one iota of homework and then scream foul when they learn that they have been taken to the cleaners.
  • Options
    Hey Ogden, you just spelled out the reason to buy PCGS coins!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My loosing streak on ebay is alive and well... I nearly pulled off a big win yesterday but in the words of Henry Longherst... "It was not to be". I am reluctant... but you have to winimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I still bid but I look at the sellers ratings and read feedbacks. Even then I still take care on the Frankies and Ikes I bid on. If the item or the seller seems shady to me I don't bidimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file