Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone have any experience with California Numismatic Investments?

Are they honest and reputable? or just out to make a buck? Is their advice to be heeded or avoided? All stories welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    Rule#1 and the golden rule in numismatics.

1. If it has the word -Investments- in it and is coin related, run for your life!
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I thought the same thing too at first. But it seems more like an actualy coin shop than an "investment" house. i think, and could be wrong, when talking about investments they are speaking more of the fact that they sell all types of bullion as well. Their inventory didnt look like super high priced supergraded "investment" coin only, but im not sure.......so i thought i'd ask : )
  • Options
    and while im at it........how the hell do i change that picture next to my name?
  • Options

<< <i>and while im at it........how the hell do i change that picture next to my name? >>

Go to the top of the page and click on "profile" then look for this "Select the author icon you wish to use:" at the bottom of the page.
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    1. Anyone who touts coins as an investment is wrong. Coins should only be purchased with discretionary income , as a hobby, period.

2. Go into your personal profile, in the northeast corner of the screen, and change your icon on the bottom.
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    If this is Richard Schwary's company, and I'm pretty sure it is, I can tell you that he is one of the truly fine gentlemen in the rare coin market, In my opinion he is one of the fairest of all coin dealers and he treats his customers extremely well. If everyone was as straight up as Richard there would be no need for PCGS.

David Hall
  • Options
    Wow, thanks Mr. Hall. And to everyone else, im not big on the coins as investment things either.......though it does seem to be true to a lot of people, i buy them (and spend ungodly amounts of money) because i like them. I have to date never ever sold a coin. "investments" just happened to be in the name of the store.
  • Options
    OgdenOgden Posts: 435
    Pretty good reference for California Numismatic, huh?

Ogden
  • Options
    Certainly seems that way.
  • Options

<< <i>If this is Richard Schwary's company, and I'm pretty sure it is, I can tell you that he is one of the truly fine gentlemen in the rare coin market, In my opinion he is one of the fairest of all coin dealers and he treats his customers extremely well. If everyone was as straight up as Richard there would be no need for PCGS.

David Hall >>

If what you say is true Mr. Schwary might want to ponder possibly changing his business name. A very large number of collectors wouldn't even bother to look twice at a name like California Numismatic Investments before running away.
  • Options
    I have delt with them and they are honest and professional...I sold some gold and they payed what they said they would....we locked the price in over the phone.
  • Options
    These people treated me very well when I was a newbie, when they could have taken me for a ride. Ignore the "Investments" part of the name -- they are a coin shop that provides very good value, for everything I've bought from them is worth more now than what I paid for it.

Their downside? They don't usually take credit cards. Their inventory seems highly variable -- sometimes they have a thousand Morgans available, sometimes they have next to none. When the market is hot they get very busy and a bit disorganized...be sure to examine the coins you purchase yourself then, if you care about the "eye appeal" of your purchase, not just the number grade. When things are slow they can be more discerning for you.

Eventually, they became so busy that they said they couldn't afford to deal by phone with picky sub-$1000/purchase customers like me anymore -- I was returning about one-third (dollar value) of the stuff they sent me. I now regret this, for I know now I was overboard, and wish they would deal with me once again.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies........im going there tommorow then. Gotta find me some CC Morgans. and maybe some walkers
  • Options
    PutTogether, how did you do at CNI yesterday?
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file