Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you....

research the past owner of the coins you collect? Is it an important aspect to you if you can trace that your grandad had that coin, then your dad, and so on and so forth?
I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Nope, don't care about provenance of coins.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

According to my research, my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather used that one to buy a hooker.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    That would be so COOL! I would give the value of the coin again if I could know everyone who used it and what they used it for. I just received a 1807 PCGS G-4 dime for Christmas and I would love to know everyone who used it.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Cool He said Hooker
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options

<< <i>According to my research, my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather used that one to buy a hooker. >>

So that's how he got the clap huh?
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't try real hard but I do like to hear the history if it's available. One of my favorite dealers will sometimes have some info on a
    coin I buy. For instance, there's an SLQ that I have from the San Francisco Mint. The original owner (or curator image) was an old man
    from San Fran that got the coin from his local bank when he was young. He took good care of it and the very year that PCGS opened
    for business he had it slabbed as MS66FH! He sold the coin to the dealer that I bought it from, so really I'm the second owner! I'll
    never part with it & I kind of feel extra responsible to take care of it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool He said Hooker >>

Do I hear the theme to Beavis & Butthead playing in the background? image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

<< <i>
    According to my research, my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather used that one to buy a hooker.

Russ, NCNE >>

The coin is 281 years old and passes back through 16 generations of ancestors which would make the average age at which each successive generation was fathered 17 1/2! Your family sure does get them started early!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Answer to the first question, no.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    [qAccording to my research, my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather used that one to buy a hooker.

Russ, NCNE >>

Though usually not encouraged, I hope you cleaned it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file