Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How important is...

The mint packaging to you? Do you think that having the original packaging will bring a premium in the future?

Dan
I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>The mint packaging to you? Do you think that having the original packaging will bring a premium in the future?

Dan >>

Yes.
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    Just an earthbound misfit,
    I

">my registry set

• Options

<< <i>The mint packaging to you? >>

Not very.

<< <i>Do you think that having the original packaging will bring a premium in the future? >>

Yes.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It really depends on the era of the set. Modern sets have such a high mintage and such a low value, I don't think it matters - or ever will. Older sets, yes, there is and will be a sizable value difference.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Interesting, I am thinking that as we deplete the supply of specimens with the original packaging that the value for original packaging will rise. Just my thought.

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    I thought someone said those jokers on TV were breaking up all the current mint sets to get their coins slabbed.

follow-up question..

If it were you... if you had 3 burnished millinium sac sets, is it better to keep them in the set or get them slabbed?
    The Wegner ARRC Bingle Set

Looking for 1967 PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    OK, you guys have convinced me to throw out my Pan-Pac package.

Where's the exacto knife?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought someone said those jokers on TV were breaking up all the current mint sets to get their coins slabbed.

follow-up question..

If it were you... if you had 3 burnished millinium sac sets, is it better to keep them in the set or get them slabbed? >>

I have 2 of these sets I believe. Set prices went downt o level off around $40 (issue price) a bit ago (I haven't looked at ebay prices lately). So, I would say prices are better if they are properly slabbed and anotated.
    A SAE from those sets, slabbed by ICG in MS68 goes for ~$26. MS69 goes for ~$60. Not sure of the Sac price, but, if you even got just the SAE to go for $60, then you would get more than for the entire set.
    Now, I have to figure out if the packaging is bad for the coins in the long run and how long until it may negatively affect them image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    If you've ever watched Antiques Road Show, you've probably seen situations
    where someone had a rare item and, since they also had the original box, the
    price doubled !
    I take care of my Mint boxes as much as possible.
  • Options
    That's a good question regarding the plastic packaging those millinium sets came in. Obviously, it's not the same as the hard plastic cases that mint sets come in.

Anyone have an experience with the older mint sets that came in the flimsy plastic packaging? Does in eventually adversely effect the coins?

The Wegner ARRC Bingle Set

Looking for 1967 PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.
  • Options
    Packaging -and the better it is -helps any product - new or old. I also wonder about how it affects the coins appearance in future years.
  • Options
    Knowing whether or not it'll bring a premium in the future is like investing in stocks. You're speculating. Not YOU, but ppl. There are good points in this thread.

I believe things are "worth more" in original packaging as in the concept of the Antiques Roadshow. Good Point.
    RUSS also had a good point with mintages. The more there are, the less the premium it'll bring.

Speculate all you want...nobody really knows. If I did....I'd either be buying as many as I could or quit buying a set a year. I buy them because I like them and I like to collect them but not because I hope they'll be worth alot in the future. Maybe someday they will be worth alot, but they're going to my kids and maybe grandkids when I'm pushin up daisies, so it'll be up to them what they wanna do with them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file