Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Saints and the price of gold

TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
Will the increase in the price of gold dramatically affect the price of Saints?
PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not if it doesn't hold. The prices of US gold indicate just how TIGHT discretionary income is in the US.
    Historically, Saints traded at double bullion for YEARS.

Now......no money.....no jobs.....and no way to buy em on credit leaves the lion's share of gold speculation to the pros who want bullion coins with low spreads to move in and out quickly if necessary.

However.... a HINT....of ...."confiscation" (which I think HIGHLY unlikely) would drive em thru the roof.

• Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    It seems that Saints have gone up a little more than Libs. Why I don't know, but gold is overpriced by quite a bit versus MS bullion gold. Over-hype and greedy dealers!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that Saints are a reasonable way to play an upside move in gold prices. In the past and present, the percent gain of MS Saints has been equal or greater to that of bullion. Saints are also nearly as liquid. Heck, with ebay, they are probably more liquid. For some reason, $20 libs do not seem to be the gold coin of choice for those wanting to take advantage of gold price moves. In the past, I was sold European classic gold coins under the assumption that these would also outperform bullion. In fact, compared to bullion, the bid/ask spread is considerably greater and even those that sell them do not seem to want them. I will avoid these in the future (though I am still sitting on 40 British sovs).

Robert
  • Options

<< <i>I think that Saints are a reasonable way to play an upside move in gold prices. In the past and present, the percent gain of MS Saints has been equal or greater to that of bullion. Saints are also nearly as liquid. Heck, with ebay, they are probably more liquid. For some reason, $20 libs do not seem to be the gold coin of choice for those wanting to take advantage of gold price moves. >>

I keep hearing you guys say you dont understand why Saints are doing better than Libs! CAN YOU SAY 1933?

You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    I have noticed wholesale bids on MS63-65 have moved almost 15% in the last 60 days and gold is up 7% can not say if the trend will continue.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    generic saints ms64 ngc/pcgs that are super eye appeal coins with no spots or stains and hi end for the grade and little to no roll friction/rub are the coins to buy

i have seen then slowly but surely become more numismatic year after year and always with good demand

AGAIN AS PER THE ABOVE 90% of the current certified ms64 saints pcgs/ngc do not meet the above criteria

get one with all the above qualities and you got a good coin there something that might even upgrade and more and more are brinining strong premiums

michael

if it was in my power every american 18 and over would be required to buy an ngc/pcgs ms64 saint and then they can sell it if they want to 6 months after they own it i bet many would keep it and many would buy more!!!!!
    they are the classic most beautiful american coin and gold to boot! now go put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file