Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

is this "ebay" message legit?

Did anyone else receive this today? It appears to be legit, but the wording is somewhat awkward in a few areas.

"From : eBay Customer Support <customer@ebay.com>
Subject : FPO Notice: Important information about your eBay account

Dear eBay Customer,

This is an important message you have to read immediately after you get it. In the past 3 months, hackers tried to steal our users accounts with trivial procedures and use them for fraud. We worked with the FBI to ensure that those evil persons were caught. Unfortunately,some of the information in our system was compromised. Because of that, all users must log in and check if nothing in their accounts was modified. With this occasion we will log all ip addresses when users log in to eBay and store them in a database. When an unknown ip address is trying to login into your account, we will know that it's not you, and start the legal procedures.
Please click this link to login to eBay. Please note that after you click this link, only the user and password and IP address will be logged, and you will be redirected to the main eBay page. If you want to use the services at eBay you have to login again from the home page.

http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&log=on

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright(C) 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. "

Comments

• Options
    $1 says it's a totally bogus, a pathetic attempt at being ironic and clever ...

Robert
  • Options
    Ebay will never ask you for log-in information via email. This and other emails are going around lately. And ya right, Ebay doing something to find and prosecute hackersimage That statement alone should get anyone to second guess the email
  • Options
    This message came to you in HTML format... if you examine the link that is supposedly an ebay link, you will see that it is actually not to ebay but to a third-party site... something like this:

http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&log=on

-
    JR
  • Options
    >> Did anyone else receive this today? It appears to be legit, but the wording is somewhat awkward in a few areas. <<

The wording isn't just somewhat awkward in a few areas - it's downright laughable.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    No.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Not Legit. How can ebay store all of the IP addresses with this one login? Aren't IP addresses unique from each computer you use to log in such as from work or a relatives computer? I am not a computer person so I could be wrong.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    Isn't it obvious that it is fake? Whenever you get an email like that, and you aren't sure, then just forward to spoof@ebay.com and see what they say.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Not only is it legitimate, but I am an authorized agent for eBay. Please send me your Social Security number as well as full information for two major credit cards so we can perform this safety check completely. Additionally, you may also be eligible to help out my good buddy who had to leave Nigeria in a hurry and is looking for a select few people he can trust to help him get his money out of a major American bank. Again, please e-mail me for further details.
  • Options
    I'm surprised the emails have not started asking what your favorite color is as well.