Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Scanning coins

Can anyone give me some tips on scanning coins to keep the resulting scan from adding colors, taking away luster, and making the coins look 'less' than they really are? For instance I scanned this shiny Jefferson, and my scanner added, what appeared to be, brown crud onto the nickel - and it is NOT there on original coin. The Lincoln came out 'ok', but I guess the light takes away from the true shine/luster of coin. Any tips would be appreciated. I tried adding a dark background on top of coins, but it didn't help, in fact made it worse. You would think an actual scan would show a coin in it's true light, but the 'light' from machine does some strange things!

Thanks! image

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You would think an actual scan would show a coin in it's true light, but the 'light' from machine does some strange things! >>

I wouldn't... scanners are very tricky for coins--that's why I, and many others, feel digi cams are the way to go.

As a tip, though, try propping the coin's holder on something--a pencil, for example. That may help.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I do have a Sony MVC 73 - It works OK for some things and use a lot for non-coin items, but I am not sure how to enlarge those photos without them becoming blurred - any tips on that? Thanks. The photos come out OK, but I just need to get them larger with the digi cam, so thought I would try scanning.
  • Options
    I've tried scanning as well, it simply doesn't work well for coins
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scanning coins will never equal a good digital pic. But with a LOT of practice you can get better at it with time. Trial and error is all. Like others have said try propping the slab up a bit with a pencil. Maybe use pennies. You can add or subtract till you get a better scan. You might have to try putting the coin on different areas of the scanner. Prop the front, the back, sideways, and then rotate the image in the image editor.

Also, In the past I always thought it didn't matter what type of scanner used mattered. It indeed does. For example I used to use a HP all in one, since I could write it off for my businessimage But never was happy with the results. But I was only scanning toned coins and they are the toughest. Prop it too high and you will get too much light reflection. I still stick with a scanner and do OK these days. But it takes a lot of time and each coin will scan different, so you have to make adjustments accordingly. Good luck.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file