Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

grading & removal of PVC

Happy New Year Everybody!!!

My original selection of a name for the Boards was coindummy, but alas, it was already taken. I've lurked a lot, but have written very few messages. In my lurking, it is quite clear that I'm out of my league entirely on these message boards. However, that does not mean that I cannot ask a question and get help from your expertise. I have two questions.

1. I have an 1886 O Morgan that is stunning. There are two flaws on the Obverse. First, there are two small and faded PVC marks. I do know that you NEVER clean an old coin, but is there a way to get the PVC off of the coin without ruining the coin (as far as its value goes)? I read somewhere that you can take a Q-tip and some fingernail polish remover and dab away at the PVC -- but somehow this seems as if it would cause problems. Do you have any solutions?

2. The second flaw, and question is that there is a very tiny nick on the corner of the edge. It doesn't go through to the other side of the coin, and as I said is quite small. Does the nick make the coin worthless and un-gradable? The reason I ask is that I sent a coin in two PCGS once, and it was sent back in a plastic bag un-slabbed, with a note saying that the coin was damaged due to a nick on the edge -- and I never even saw the nick on this coin. Any opinions out there concerning this? I would appreciate any responses.

Kind Regards,

perro
Charis, eleos, kai eireenee para Theou (Grace, mercy, and peace from God, in ancient Koine Greek),

perro

Comments

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    1- PVC damage ? are you certain the 2 specks are PVC ? are they green and pits ? usually PVC returned coins have a light haze over the coin somewhere - they also smell like a new shower curtain (just like the flip type that causes this when you stretch and tear that flip -

I would soak this coin in acetone for awhile just to be sure - moistened Q-tip slowly rotated over the area in question gently might break it free if possible - true PVC damage causes pits that do not go away

2- rim nick ? how bad before they drop the coin a grade or not grade it at all? depends on coin and series - similar to asking whether a small scratch is a baggable offense

depending on how noticable I would think
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Well, don't use nail polish remover...use pure acetone. There's ingredients in nail polish remover that will adhere to the coin and potentially cause further damage.

As for the nick, don't do anything to it.
    Mark
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Home Depot carries a relatively pure acetone, which is inexpensive, use it instead of nail polish remover. Do you have and pictures of the coin?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Dear all,

Thank you kindly for your responses. They were very helpful to me. I'm not sure that it is PVC, I rather think it's not because it doesn't seem dark enough. I haven't received the coin yet, but the pics were XLNT and huge, so you could look at the detail. If it is I'll try the acetone thing as instructed. How do you download a pic on these boards?
    Charis, eleos, kai eireenee para Theou (Grace, mercy, and peace from God, in ancient Koine Greek),

perro
  • Options
    A big WELCOME Perro
    Michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file