Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help with grading this gold 1/4 lib

I am thinking about sending in this 1/4 lib to pcgs what are your thoughts

Michael

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like there's some chatter, but not a ton... MS63, possibly 64?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MetaMeta Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I'd go with MS62 on that......maybe a 63 with a little luck.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't tell from Liberty's cheek whether or not there's some AU rub there. Either AU-58 or MS-62 -- hard to tell from the photo.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Hi Jeremy, Thats a pretty nice Tiffany piece you have for sale, I used to sell a lot of Tiffany glass but people started stealing it at an alarming rate so I stopped.
    Michael
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭
    Either AU-58 or MS-62 -- hard to tell from the photo. Ditto edited to add: possibly even AU55 due to the check
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Classic/older gold can be tough. It get's a more severe grading than any other coin in my mind.

I have to go with the AU 58 crowd.

Very nice piece though. image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    ttt
    Michael
  • Options

Just from the photo I would say choice bu.

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
  • Options
    MS61
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Bodybag maybe-cleaned/wizzed. If not au55 too many hits on the face to be a 58 in my opinion.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I would also say it's had a light cleaning but it still could go as high as 62 but a body bag is possible. mike
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in the 58 or 62 crowd, but I doubt the bodybag.
  • Options
    AU58 - looks like a very nice coin that might've seen juuuuuuuust a little circulation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file