Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How come the new change I get is better than the coins in Mint Sets?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
Title says it all.

I keep getting real nice coins in change. They seem to be better than the coins in my 2003 mint sets. What gives, does the mint take better care with normal business strikes vs. business strikes for mint sets?

Your opinions please!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our mint's quality control was laid off a long time ago...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Commerce, baby ... can't be bothered with you profit-center collectors. You might well find better pocket change. Buy Canadian if you want some nice coins from people who give a hoot about numismatists. I, too, have noticed the same phenomenon ...
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean! I got a 2002 quarter in change that if it wasn't for the bag marks could have easily got a 68. I was amazed how nice the coin was.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The coins that seem to be the best are the 2003 dimes I keep getting in change from the vending machine at work... I am half tempted to send one in for grins!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Send it in modern service and let us know how it grades
    tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Dang if I can remember who it was or when it was or the particular results, but I think I remember someone sending some pocket change in for grading and darn if they did not do too bad ... anyone have better recall on that/those post(s)? image
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Yeah I've seen some *outstanding* dimes come out of our machine, and I have considered sending one in.

I've also got amazing Arkansas quarters from Dairy Queen - they're better than the mint set.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I've seen a lot of real nice looking Jeffersons from change. Of course when I put a loup to them, none are worth submitting.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I've also noticed that mint set coins often appear a bit lifeless, even while the proof sets that I've recently purchased have been stellar. But I've been reading about how much more market savvy the mint is nowadays in selling items to collectors- why would they be finding new ways to capitalize on collecters but then offer substandard mint set strikes?image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    I'm putting together a set of flawless Statehood Quarters from pocket change. We're talking perfect here, any bagmarks visible to the naked eye and it gets spent. Sure it's not technically pocket change if you're buying a bag of $500 worth of quarters from the bank, but out of that bag I picked out:

1999D Connecticut
    2001D Rhode Island
    2002D Ohio
    2002D Indiana
    2002P Mississippi
    2002D Louisiana
    2003P Arkansas
    2003D Alabama
    2003D Maine

If these don't grade MS69 or MS70 then I don't know what does.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I,ve noticed that the P mint coins for `03 are better quality than the D mints.
    Atleast in the mint sets I have they are.

A high quality D should be worth more than the P counterpart for `03s I,m thinking.
    The Philly mint must have switched managers with the Denver mint.
    Now the Ds will be the crappy strikes for a change.
    Maybe we,ll get some cool errors out of the deal FOR A CHANGE.
    I,m always jealous of you eastcoast dudes with all the error coins that yall
    have floating around there because of the lack of quality control at the Philly mint.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file