Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

dropped letter errors

Can anyone tell me how this type of error happens?

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    dropped fillings?

a number or letter or some part of the design may get stuck in the die and then drops out onto a new planchet
    about to be struck and appears on that coin as an errant or misplaced letter, number etc.

doesnt happen that often but is known to happen, maybe more some on older coinage as in IHCs
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Joey: I believe you are referring to what is called a filled die. Periodically, a little grease or other debris on a coin die will appear to "blank out" a letter or number ... they tend to carry little if any premium. On older coins, an overpolished die sometimes can be blamed for erasing or minimizing a letter or part of a device and command a big premium, ala the 1937-D Three-Legged Buff...
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    A dropped digit happens when the recess of the die fills with crud and falls out onto a planchet. Since this crud has been hardened from the constant heat & pounding of the dies it is almost as hard as steel and leaves it's imprint in the surface of the coin.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Thank you very much. That is what I was refering to. You wind up with a letter or digit completely whare it does not belong.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    And that errant letter or number will be incuse! Not raised.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file