Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dipping proofs

I have read a lot on this forum about dipping coins but what of proof coins? What do you use and what can you do with a proof coin with haze or spots on it? I'm being curious that's why I'm askingimage

Cheers,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Dipping is an evil practice that destroys coins and hurts future generations of collectors. Spots and haze prove that a coin is original. Dippers should be shot, hung, drawn and quartered.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    It's a nasty habit. imageimage
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Here's my take on dipping. I'll NEVER dip a naturally toned coin, unless it is just plain ugly. But, I dipped some of my silver proof coins with jeweluster, some as long as 25 years ago, to remove haze with excellent results. Later, when PCGS et al came along, I had many of them slabbed, also with great results. I still have most of these, many graded PR65 to PR68 by PCGS, and they still look like they did when dipped. I've never tried to dip anything other than silver. But, you have to be METICULOUS and CAREFUL when dipping.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dipping is an evil practice that destroys coins and hurts future generations of collectors. Spots and haze prove that a coin is original. Dippers should be shot, hung, drawn and quartered.

Russ, NCNE >>

I disagree.... dipping and cleaning is good for the hobby and the future of the coins surface. Much money can be made by dipping and re-submitting coins to get them in their proper prospective holders. More dip for me.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dipping is an evil practice that destroys coins and hurts future generations of collectors. Spots and haze prove that a coin is original. >>

<< <i>Dippers should be shot, hung, drawn and quartered. >>

Russ, are you sure that is the right order? Maybe they should be drawn and quartered, hung and shot!image

Mike, if it is your coin do what you like! I would recomment conservation by NCS for higher value coins, so there is no damage. Too many coins are ruined by people with good intentions.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many coins are ruined by people with good intentions.

Amen, Fcloud. Amen.

I honestly believe that's the truest statement I've ever seen made in this forum....

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    And, too many proof coins are returned to their Mint glory for enjoyment by generations to come by people with good intentions and good technique ... I have multiple Registry coins with wonderful grades they would not have received without a little TLC. And, none of them have turned a hair. A man has got to know his limitations, someone once said. Those who do, dip (when warranted). Those who can't forgo profits/enjoyment they otherwise would have received. A quick, judicious, well-done dip on a hazy proof is not a sin, folks. PCGS recongizes such.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Dave, Thanks for the compliment!

RGL, If you have the skill go for it--after all it is your coin! I know my limitations, and I would rather send a coin to NCS than take the risk of scratches or discoloration. I have seen many coins in holders that have changed over time because someone with good intentions conserved the coin. I wish I had the skill, but, again, I know my limitations!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I am not suggesting the dipping of 19th Century proofs, those and other rare coins should indeed be left to the professionals. I am talking about 1950-71 proofs that could perhaps at best bring a few hundred bucks even if improved from 65 to 67. I have a PR-65 Walker that easily goes PR-66 with a little professional conservation when I get around to it. I am not about to dip that puppy myself ... '50s Jeffs I have no qualm about...
  • Options
    No dip, go dip, good dip, bad dip...I'm gettin' dippy just reading about dipping. As a confused novice numismatist, this can be very confusing. All those in FAVOR of dipping or not in favor of dipping state your view, so I know weather or not to DIP, so I don't dip deep into my pockets submitting to grading companies...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    I have seen a coin come back from NCS that was toned BLUE.

The coin was not blue BEFORE it went to NCS. Food for thought.

BTW the coin was NOT mine.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have seen a coin come back from NCS that was toned BLUE.

The coin was not blue BEFORE it went to NCS. Food for thought.

BTW the coin was NOT mine. >>

Hey I been wondering where all those odd blue toned coins were coming from. Thanks for the info, and please say it isn't so.imageimage
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    it is a certain blue color too. come by my table and I might be able to show you the coin in question.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file