Home U.S. Coin Forum

EVER HEAR OF A SILVER NO S 25 CENT BICENTENNIAL??

I think I have one as the coins alloy looks silver to me. It looks like no other copper nickel 25 cent error bicentennial coin that I own. Problem is, it is slabbed by PCGS as a Uncentered Broadstrike.

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    The odds are remote. If PCGS already looked at the coin as an error, they probably would have noticed if the coin was silver and not clad. But you can always send it back in with a note specifying what you suspect and see what happens.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    As I remember , President Ford was presented with a Proof set of silver bicentennial coins ( quarter, half dollar and dollar) which were struck with out mint marks. Another set was also given to the National Coin Collection at the Smithsonian.

Anything is possible, you very well could have a 40% silver clad with out mint mark ( if its a proof issue, then you've got something special ) ... remember the Philadelphia Mint didn't use mint marks back then.

Good luck !!! Nice find. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Are these the only two you know of? Is there literature on this?
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Four three-piece sets (Quarter Dollar, Half Dollar, and Dollar) were struck as Proofs but without mintmarks. One set went to then-President Gerald Ford, another to the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission administrator, John W. Warner, another to Treasury Secretary William E. Simon, and the other to Gerald Ford's appointment secretary, Anne L. Armstrong.

Link
  • WOW, THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION ON THIS
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, my memory seems to be slipping. I really thought that one of the sets went into the Smithsonian.

Lockoftheirish: If your coin is a proof without the mintmark (doubtful) you have the "fifth coin".

What you probably have is a Philadelphia mint off center. You mentioned that it was a 40% silver ( again doubtful ) but more than likely a copper-nickel clad version.

Regardless, its still a cool find and rare by anyone's standards.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • How about a quick tissue paper test?
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Is the minuteman pissing???
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Always is as always does. Imagine if they had depends in those days. They could never have taken that picture.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file