Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another big day for the metals

I noticed silver was up 27 cents today. I thought I had heard once that there is now a 1 day cap of 50 cents on silver put into place after what happened in 79-80 meaning it cannot go up or down more than 50 cents in one day. Does anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Yes, (some, but not all) futures contracts have daily limits where trading is halted for the day when reached.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering about the same thing. The limit in '79 was $.50, but I had thought they changed it to $.25.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Hmmm............seems to me we had a drop of close to 50 cents in a single day in late Septemeber, I know for sure it was more than a quarter.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭✭
    TTT, anyone invested in copper?? I have 100lbs of old pennies!
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    And $1.27 will get you a Euro.
    DSW
  • Options
    I thought there were days back in 79-80 when the price of silver was jumping or dropping 2-4 dollars a day. Can you imagine!
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    A very good day in the gold market.

• Options
    It was a good day

Period! image

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options

<< <i>I noticed silver was up 27 cents today. I thought I had heard once that there is now a 1 day cap of 50 cents on silver put into place after what happened in 79-80 meaning it cannot go up or down more than 50 cents in one day. Does anyone know if this is true? >>

This might interest yall.....Trading limits on silverimage

Hope it helps.
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    Just an earthbound misfit,
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    Interesting article, thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting article, thanks. >>

Happy to help.
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    Just an earthbound misfit,
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    Travis

I read your info on the trading limits of silver. I found it interesting and (quite frankly am confused),

As I haven't done futures in many,many years I am of course out of the loop. But I do think you will find limits EXCEPT the current futures month.

I remember back in the silver RISE & CRASH nothing was traded for days, the limits did not allow the futures to go down as fast as the cash price of silver did. It was devastating for MANY! Unless you were short.

Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file