Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Economy is Good, LOL, are americans blind??

I have bloomberg channel on TV now and they are saying how the economy is improving. Yet I been watching the national debt clock http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/ and it has skyrocketed to over 7 trillion today !!! Along with that, im sure everyone here knows how the price of gold is skyrocketing as well. Is this some kind of conspiracy and is the media being controlled .I guess the economy can be OK today with a national debt skyocketing to record highs, but it cant go on much longer.Tomorow or next week when retail sales are slower then I guess the economy will be not OK, since american economy is based on consumer spending and military might and thats about it, how sad.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>is the media being controlled >>

The answer to this should be fairly obvious.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>they are saying how the economy is improving. Yet I been watching the national debt clock http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/ and it has skyrocketed to over 7 trillion today !!! >>

And the national debt is relevant to economic recovery because?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    And, what does this have to do with U. S. coins?????
  • Options
    Our president has artificially improved the economy by creating the biggest deficiet ever (and that is not including the cost of Iraq). He even topped the Reagan era spending. There will be a windfall for it, I just hope people realize this and not re-elect him.
  • Options
  • Options
    I beg to differ that Bush is the reason, or at least sole reason, for your so-called artifical rise... the truth is, the economy is regulated and influenced by two agencies, The Fed, and Congress... the Fed, ever since 9/11 has been flooding the economy with money by 3 means to fight recession, buying bonds, lowering the Direct Rate (The Interest Rate the Fed charges Banks for loans, which in turn determines the rates of loans to the consumers by the banks), and by lowering the Reserve Requirements for banks (Which let's banks loan out more money which creates significantly more money, though that's mostly paper trickery). Then, Congress also influences the economy, but not as much as the Fed, through Spending and Taxation. The more Congress spends and the less they tax, the more money they are putting into the economy and the pockets of the average citizen. The less Congress spends and the more they tax, the more money they are taking out of the economy (Which also fights inflation). Now, would you like me to go more in-depth? I can drag out the notes from Economics class if you wish... but in all, Bush has little real influence in the economy, except what control and influence he has on the budget in Congress...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "And the national debt is relevant to economic recovery because?"

Because the Gov has to borrow that money. Right now it's not an issue because there isn't much demand in the private sector so rates are staying low. But if the economy is going to continue to recover, businesses are going to borrow as well, and as a result interest rates will sky-rocket. Then recovery goes bust.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i> Now, would you like me to go more in-depth? I can drag out the notes from Economics class if you wish... but in all, Bush has little real influence in the economy, except what control and influence he has on the budget in Congress... >>

In order to make a statement like that, you need to drag out notes from more than JUST your economics class. Politics can affect the economy in many ways, and essentially anyone who has sat in the oval office has done just that. Foreign trade policy is created by the white house, congress, special interest groups, etc. These policies affect your job, standard of living and overall health of the economy. When Clinton signed NAFTA into law, and trade liberalization has only increased under Bush, all of a sudden factories in the US can be shipped abroad and those that remain force their workers to earn less cash. Are you telling me, THAT doesn't affect the economy? These measures come straight from the white house, not the federal reserve. When Bush puts steel tarrifs or signs trade agreements with China, these have major effects on the economy.

Take another example- The redesigning of the overtime laws and job classifications with who is exempt and who is non-exempt that has happened on Bush's watch. This is a POLICY initiative, has nothing to do with the Fed. Now all of a sudden, millions of Americans who were earning overtime pay may find themselves "reclassified" and no longer eligeable to earn overtime pay. Now they have a lot less money to spend. Are you telling me that does NOT affect the economy?

Let's take one last example- the medicare bill passed into law by President Bush. This includes a drug benefit for seniors. Now all of a sudden, the Federal Government (Not Federal Reserve- they had nothing to do with this) will be paying drug makers big bucks to cover the perscription costs for the tens of millions of Americans who are about to retire. These drug companies will make a TON OF MONEY! Not to mention the forces in the white house trying to privatize medicare. Don't you THINK that the insurance companies that will manage these medicare plans won't make money? These measures will definetly affect the economy!!

So get your nose out of the textbook and look at the big picture, my friend. It affects me, affects you, and affects everyone out there. Now, I'm not taking an anti-Bush or pro-Bush stance in this post, I'm just pointing out that EVERY president, Democrat OR Republican can negatively or positively affect the economy. But blindly saying that Bush hasn't harmed the economy in one way or another is just plan ignorant. The economy is very dynamic and any number of factors can influence it, and that includes the white house.
    Tim
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JrGman: Bravo!!!

I never know where to start with statements like some of these. While they
    differ from my politics this is not even really a political consideration. Our gov-
    ernment does what it does despite, and because of political affiliations. Each
    causes problems and blames he others. Conversely each has solutions for which
    they want sole credit. Certainly many of the spending programs have been pro-
    mulgated by the Democrats and many of the tax "reductions" have been pushed
    by the republicans. Meantime the people tend to blame which ever party holds
    the presidency. Things won't change until Americans wake up and demand re-
    sponsibility and accountability ay all levels of society. ...And this is unlikely to
    happen until they accept responsibility themselves.

As far as who controls the media this one's easy. Liberals have a stranglehold on
    virtually all media and can see no evil while a democrat occupies the oval office and
    no good with a republican.

Things must REALLY be looking up.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Actually, the Gov't just borrows from itself to pay the debts, specifically they issue bonds to cover the deficits... About 10-15% of the budget is designated for paying the interest on the bonds... and that's not even paying them off, that's just the interest alone... in Econ last semester, we went to the library to do a simulation of trying to balance the national budget... very hard to do... most programs have to be cut by 20% or more... and politically you can't touch certain things, like the military, veterans benefits, Medicare, Social Security and the Bond Interest, and that is about $200 billion... here is the Short Version of the Budget Sim, there's also a Longer Version that goes in-depth into individual things... but seriously... try the Simulation, see how close you can come to Eliminating the National Debt, and report your first try results here... Only limitations, you can't cut spending in Military Spending, Iraq War, Veterans and Military Retirement, Medicare, Social Security, Net interest and Undistributed offsetting receipts... everything else is fair game for cutting spending... but try to think politically too, b/c if you're a politician, you'll most likely want to be re-elected... BTW, don't cut more than 30% from a program

And to Tsimmerdown: Little problem I see with your arguements... every one of your examples, would first have to be approved by the House and the Senate with a majority vote in both... it's not just the President saying I want these things to happen and signs it into Law...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Kudos to jrgman.....There are a lot that don't get it or have an axe to grind...thanks..
  • Options

<< <i>Kudos to jrgman.....There are a lot that don't get it or have an axe to grind...thanks.. >>

No axe to grind here with the President.. he has done many things right, and he will continue to do things right. However, you cannot make a statement such as "The president does nothing to affect the economy" based on a high school economics class is wrong. It's only looking at the issue from one side.

Any president, regardless of party, from George Washington to George Bush Jr. make policy decisions which affect the economy.
    Tim
  • Options

<< <i>"And the national debt is relevant to economic recovery because?"

Because the Gov has to borrow that money. >>

They don't "have" to, they "choose" to. The assets held by the federal government dwarf the national debt. If they were a private corporation, the balance sheet would be considered healthy.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"And the national debt is relevant to economic recovery because?"

Because the Gov has to borrow that money. >>

They don't "have" to, they "choose" to. The assets held by the federal government dwarf the national debt. If they were a private corporation, the balance sheet would be considered healthy.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ is correct. It is an accounting ratio called the Debt to Assets ratio. What is of concern to the original poster, if you want to draw a parallel to a corporation would be debt as a percentage of net income, or interest as a percentage of net income. However, keep in mind: The U.S. has never defaulted on it's debt. The U.S. has never devalued it's currency, and how many other countries can say the same?
    Tim
  • Options

<< <i>I beg to differ that Bush is the reason, or at least sole reason, for your so-called artifical rise... >>

Hmmm, does anyone see here, where I said that Bush was the reason for the recession or other Economic problems or that he has no effect on the Economy?

And you're mistaken in the statement that "The US has never devalued their currency." This latest recession was actually partially caused by the Fed tightening up on their Monetary Policy, lowering the value of the US$, to fight inflation... the Fed would rather have a recession than inflation, and has, on occasion, sent the nation into a recession on purpose to acheive their ends... fighting inflation...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    G man: My arguement holds because it counters the wording that YOU used in your original statement. I will quote your post:

"Then, Congress also influences the economy, but not as much as the Fed, through Spending and Taxation."

SPENDING AND TAXATION. You mention nothing about policy. The Senate, House and the President all influence policy. However, the key in there is that the president can influence policy as well.

You are correct- the president does not unilaterally make policy. But he does have some part in it, which in turn affects the economy. All presidents have done this.

And you are also wrong- concerning trade tarrifs, the president operates those, outside of congressional mandates, at least in the short term.

Haven't you been reading the news lately?
    Tim
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I beg to differ that Bush is the reason, or at least sole reason, for your so-called artifical rise... >>

And you're mistaken in the statement that "The US has never devalued their currency." This latest recession was actually partially caused by the Fed tightening up on their Monetary Policy, lowering the value of the US$, to fight inflation... the Fed would rather have a recession than inflation, and has, on occasion, sent the nation into a recession on purpose to acheive their ends... fighting inflation... >>

??? Do you know what currency devaluation is?

You're talking about something completely different. If you follow the thread, those statements are meant to support Russ' arguement...
    Tim
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I got my thinking crossed, you are right that the US doesn't devalue their currency, my mistake, and I take my last statement back.
    -George
    42/92
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry, I got my thinking crossed, you are right that the US doesn't devalue their currency, my mistake, and I take my last statement back. >>

No problem, my friend..

I just wanted to present the whole picture when people make statements about the President, both the pros and the cons.
    Tim
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This post just proves what I already knew....

that 99.99999% of the population doesnt know 1% of what they act like they know....

It is good to try and understand. That is what more Americans need to do.

However, stating opinions as fact, without the education and economic, policy, political, social and civic experience to back it up is wrong.

V.r,
    coinlt
  • Options
    didn't Bush inherit the office and post from one of the most esteemed and well loved Presidents of all-time, Billy Jeff? I am sure all tasks were dutifully completed and there were no messes to be found... imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>and there were no messes to be found... >>

Other than stained dresses.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember back in school some 40 or more years ago how even then they preached that while the national debt was increasing it was also actually decreasing as a percentage of the GNP. Try using that argument with your credit card company LOL.
    Things looked rosy for awhile under Clinton because he had about 2 years of windfall tax receipts because of all of the Roth IRA conversions.

"Because the Gov has to borrow that money. Right now it's not an issue because there isn't much demand in the private sector so rates are staying low. But if the economy is going to continue to recover, businesses are going to borrow as well, and as a result interest rates will sky-rocket. Then recovery goes bust."

Right now interest rates are low so the extra interest is not the burden that it will be in the future. When more than 100% of your tax receipts go to interest with none leftover for planned budget expenses then things could get interesting.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    One of you debt flamers should do some research on national debt vs GDP. I think that will answer the relevance of the national debt.
  • Options
    It's time for all you guys to pack your crap up and head over to the open forum with your bs.
  • Options
    I come to this forum to get away from the day to day B/S. I feel like I'm reading "talk radio". Give it a rest and go back to what this forum is about...COINS! Thank you and have a wonderful new year.

• Options
    So how many million 93-S Morgans in vg10 would it take to pay off the national debt?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    i heard that on tv

the day after thanksgiving when i got home n turned on tv after leaving work with my pink slip

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I haven't checked out thye numbers but there are economists who say that the national debt is nothing to fear yet. In theory a high national debt is bad but we still have a long way to go. Realistically as a percentage of government revenue, the current debt is less than the average person and his home mortage and credit card debt. If a person can handle a mortgage, the government can manage for a while. Anyone want to look it up?

I can think of a dozen reasons not to have high capacity magazines, but it's the reasons I haven't thought about that I need them.
  • Options
    As said before, this bs belongs over on the open forum.....Ken
  • Options
    You guys are making this far more complex than it should be. As a senior mortgage underwriter for a major financial instituition with degrees in finance and economics, I can tell you that the US economy is driven by consumer confidence and overseas perception. All of those nice and sweet economic indicators and the Fed's monetary policy are very fuzzy and are a function of economic theory. Psychology drives the U.S economy and consumer and corporate perception drives investment strength and the domestic and overseas bond markets. This is the jist of it in a nutshell.
    If you read some of the offline and unofficial interviews with Greenspan and other fed members, as well as members of the CFR and Trilateral committees, you will come to understand that perception is everything and economic theories are useless if John Sixpack and ABC Housing Inc don't invest in bond markets and equities.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Economy is Good, LOL, are americans blind?? >>

It depends on if you are working or not. If you are unemployed the economy is bad. If you are one of the 94+% of the workforce thing ain't so bad. It like so many things in perception.

90% of the media seems to be democratic or hold democratic views, so it is rare to see anything positive, and when something positive shows up a lot of people don't belive it anyway.

And what does this have to do with coins?image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭✭
    I vote for Hillary Clinton on the new .00000005 coin in Iraq. Her opinion like many liberal points here are worthless!!! image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

that 99.99999% of the population doesnt know 1% of what they act like they know....

>>

My guess is that the other .00001% realize they are almost completely ignorant.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    And the national debt is relevant to economic recovery because?

My Thoughts Because at some point when we run off the rest of the world with a lower
    dollar we'll have to fund our own us gov bonds
    thus we'll have to raise interest rates to sell them in the volume needed to run this gov
    which will stop the stock market dead in it's tracks
  • Options

<< <i>However, stating opinions as fact, without the education and economic, policy, political, social and civic experience >>

<< <i>to back it up is wrong. >>

Last I checked we had a first amendment. You know freedom of speech. If you don't like the opinion of others, don't read it!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    The first amendment specifically states that all this crap belongs in the open forum - you can look it up!
  • Options
    This looks coin related to me! You can't purchase coins without money, if there is no economy there is no money.image

• Options
    I don't have a degree in economics, however IMHO, the us economy is recovering. Unemployment is going down, consumer confidence is up, spending is up, yes when the government spends money ( increase in national debt) it does drive the economy. Most importantly, I have more money in my pocket because of the Rebulican tax cuts. Hooray! I am a believer in lower taxes!! For 8 years during the Democratic "reign" we had the largest taxation in the history of this country. Because I now have more money, I can hire people, invest in research and development and buy products. The national debt doesn't bother me, just keep cutting those taxes. We are taxed to death.imageimageimage
  • Options
    Bankruptcy filings are at an all time high but our economy just absorbs them and goes on its way. Our economy sometimes takes a lickin but it keeps on tickin!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    This would be a good Open Forum thread.
  • Options
    Yer right, but none of us can move it so as long as its here!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>This would be a good Open Forum thread. >>

Nah, it would die over there. Too intellectual. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Any other country in the world under any leader, handed a fluffed-up employement scenario ready to crash on the back of a fluffed-up stock market and frenzied speculation bubble, and handed a recession, and handed a brew of corruption that was well-rooted already, then handed a 9-11 ... would never ever have shown its economy to be as resilient as America's was. Say what you wish, but solutions often come with a cost. Bush's solution was to stimulate growth by stimulating job-creators, stimulating investment capital, and stimulating the level of hope and confidence businesses can feel good moving forward in. Yes there was a cost, but healthy growth will eventually address that if Congress can be disciplined with its spending. It's really tiring to hear people say "millions of jobs lost under Bush" as if the absolutely incredibly insane and crumbling mountain of companies, stocks, jobs, and investments handed to him would have resulted in less jobs lost had it been Gore at the helm. Hah, I just laughed.

Bush also has to fight a war against Evil -- Evil and terrorists breeding in the Middle East. Another big problem that calls for some short-term painful solutions for the long-term benefit of getting the snowball rolling in a Standard that won't tolerate terrorism, evil, and anti-rights regimes the way they were being tolerated by the World before he came into office. Another thing that drives me nuts are the fools who think that fighting terrorism is not under the larger umbrella of fighting evil and how they are one and connected -- which is why it is so very important to not tolerate a Saddam who gives the finger as he disregards his original Surrender Treaty and actually be fully cooperative as it demanded.

I believe Bush, who is imperfect like all other Presidents, will go down in history as the President who got the ball rolling on getting real about seriously dealing with evil and setting a new world standard of toughness about it, freed millions, and put more personal financial control into the hands of individual citizens, and who played one of the worst economic hands dealt to a President notably well.
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This would be a good Open Forum thread. >>

Nah, it would die over there. Too intellectual. image

Russ, NCNE >>

• Options
    Some Greatpoints FoundingFather... and I think a lot of Americans will see a rising economy, and I believe that will help get Bush re-elected... look at Clinton, during his first administration, the nation pulled out of a recession and moved back into recovery and prosperity, and that helped him get re-elected, and I think the same will hold true with Bush... all-in-all, you're right, he has done a pretty good job considering what has been thrown at him during his term...
    -George
    42/92

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file