Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you trust this guy?

This coin shop is located in a strip mall & is the ONLY shop within 100 miles of me. It's about 400 square feet & only 1/4 of it was used for displays of coins & work area. The rest is just piles of boxes, clothes, blankets and a bunch of junk.
I asked him if he just moved in, and he said "No, I've been here a little more than a year."
Then I told him the only reason I found him, was that I saw his classified ad in the newspaper in the coins section with his address on it. He said "Not me, I've never placed an ad in the paper." So I asked him if he had any safe-t-flips for sale. He looked confused and said "What's a safe-t-flip?"
Now would you trust this guy, or am I just paranoid?
Thanks,
Glenn

Comments

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    This man should not be trusted. He's a dealer. image

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Take him a coin as if you were going to sell it to him. See what he offers for it. If he tries to undercut you, then you can't trust him. If he tells you what it is truly worth, then he's honest. If you feel like playing with him, take him a copy of the overpriced PCGS price guide, and see if you can sell it to him at that level.

Sen
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    You don't have to trust him, you need only possess the knowledge necessary to protect yourself.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>You don't have to trust him, you need only possess the knowledge necessary to protect yourself.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ: Your wisdom is incredible!
    Thank you.
    Glenn
  • Options

<< <i>You don't have to trust him, you need only possess the knowledge necessary to protect yourself. >>

or possess enough knowledge to cherrypick him. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like a lot of dealers I know.....image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    my first impulse was to say no, but then read Sen's post - and agree with him - feel him out - take him a 'few' coins and test his knowledge - or lack of, etc. Think about what you are going to say, and try to get to know more about his area of expertise - if any.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file