Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some thoughts about image theft.

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
It appears that scammers are increasingly stealing images of coins (and other items) for use in their own on-line auctions. While the original image is copyrighted automatically I believe that, unless it is formally registered, the only damages that can be obtained thru legal action are actual damages. No punitive damages or lawyer's fees can be obtained unless the image has been formally registered. (Please correct me if I am wrong on this!) Wouldn't it be a good idea for legit users of on-line auctions to post a notice, perhaps in the "Me" section on eBay for example, regarding use of their images. Example: My images are available for rental at the following rates: One image, one time $10,000. MY permission must be obtained in advance and all fees must be paid in advance. No use permitted by sellers in on-line auctions.

Wouldn't this give the originator of the image a legal leg to stand on in court actions? I'm no lawyer so I may not be correct on any of this. Your comments would be appreciated.
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if your suggestion is legal, but I think it's a good idea to just type your username across the image.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    If you don't want someone to use your image, write your name across it, remove it, whatever. The last thing we need are more laws governing the internet. More laws is a lose/lose situation for everyone but the lawyers.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The last thing we need are more laws governing the internet. More laws is a lose/lose situation for everyone but the lawyers. >>

His suggestion has nothing to do with more laws (I agree, we don't need any more). What he's talking about is existing law, and a way for a seller to better protect their rights under that law. Not sure if the approach actually does strengthen the seller's position, but it doesn't create anything new.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    You can always substitute the stolen link with a picture of a horse's arse, or the like. I still think that's the best (and most comical) solution.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    I didn't know there was a law governing the ownership of images on the net.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't know there was a law governing the ownership of images on the net. >>

Copyright law covers it in the same way it covers regular printed material.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Writing your name across the image is a good idea.

You can use Photoshop (or whatever your favorite image editor is) to do this. With the filters that are available, you can make a "watermark-like" version of your name that goes across the image that doesn't obscure too much of the detail of the coin, but still makes it more pain than it is worth to try to do a clean-up job in an image editor to be able to use the image as something it is not.

Here is an example of a coin scan I did:

Here is that same coin, just with my name across it:

Of course, the coin looks better without the text across it, but you can play around with the image editing tool a bit and hopefully get it so that the major portions of the coin are not obstructed. Also, you could e-mail separate, "non-stamped" versions of the imaged coins in question to any serious bidders that might enquire about your auctions upon request.
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Chipmunk
    I just started playing with the photo programs to do that myself. I have only sold a couple of coins on Ebay, but one of my other auctions was copied word for word and picture for picture. I had to complain to Ebay and they cancelled all of the other auctions this guy was scamming.
    Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file