Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2000 Silver Proof set Jefferson has marks in front of nose :( - Pic added

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
I decided to look at some of my previously unsearched proof sets (after reading the latest numistmatic news and reading more about the die cracks).
I saw some marks like they had been made by quarters hitting each other with the reeded edge right in front of the bridge of the nose on the Jefferson.

Does that kill the value for this set since it isn't really a die crack?

I plan to scan it later when I get a chance but I think I am a little saddened by this.

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS tells me that's the "booger Jeff". Catalog value $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    I wish....I had looked to see if he was sneezing, but, as I mentioned the marks are comparable to the bridge area of his nose...too high for sneezing...almost like a line coming from his eye (line of sight).....sigh....

Maybe it would sell for megabucks as a "L@@K PROOF ERROR....ONLY ONE REPORTED FOR 2000 JEFFERSON!!!!....WOW!!!!!!!!!"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Here's a pic of it.....
    Coin has no problems other than the little marks coming from the nose/eye area...anything else is on the holder....

It is hard to see...but it is there...about 3 little tick marks.

How would those get there on a proof coin anyway???

• Options
    I'm not sure how they get there. I've seen little divets in proof Jeffs I thought were planchet flaws. I imagine there could be a mark from some handling incident during packaging. It shouldn't hurt the value of the set much but someone looking for PR 69 Jeffs would pass.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file