Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 donruss??

I found a whole 800 count box of these in my basement. its the whole set minus cal ripken. and id say they would all grade 8-10. are these cards worth anything if there graded 10's? or 9's? just wondering Chris

Comments

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice find!!!

If they really are in that good condition, I am sure you can find out about the demand and selling price by going on ebay and conducting a search. Typically, the Pete Rose and Nolan Ryan should do well.
    Just check on ebay and then you will know.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    PSA is running the $5 special right now. If you think
    they're all high grade and you want to send them
    in, I'll guarantee to buy all 9's and 10's and you
    would be able to make a nice profit. Good luck.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    Regarding the PSA Set Registry promotion, do you have to have a set registered in order to send in cards for the $5 grading special? Or can I just send in 25 random 1972-present cards for grading?
  • Options
    I checked on EBay and most of the PSA-9 commons and semis are going for around $5-$7 and the PSA-10s for this group are around $10-$20. A few of the stars were higher and some of the commons lower. If you are pretty confident they would go as 9's and possibly 10's it may be worth your time.

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA is running the $5 special right now. If you think
    they're all high grade and you want to send them
    in, I'll guarantee to buy all 9's and 10's and you
    would be able to make a nice profit. Good luck. >>

what kind of $5 special? I saw the January "Collectors Club" special for $10 express service..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Here is a link that should answer a couple
    of questions.

pandrews - This is the current "set registry" special.

rufdude - According to the link, you don't need an
    existing registered set to participate. You
    can strat a new one once your cards are
    slabbed and returned.

Current Set Registry Special
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a link that should answer a couple
    of questions.

pandrews - This is the current "set registry" special.

rufdude - According to the link, you don't need an
    existing registered set to participate. You
    can strat a new one once your cards are
    slabbed and returned.

Current Set Registry Special >>

Thanks!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Thanks for the help again! but if they are only bringing 5-7$ graded 9. and it cost 5$ to grade a card i dont see it really be worth anything. or am i missing something?
  • Options
    A decade later - BBCE boxes at 85 bucks. This set must be like 1989 Upper Deck who is still printing those 89's.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A decade later - BBCE boxes at 85 bucks. This set must be like 1989 Upper Deck who is still printing those 89's. >>

IMO - They are low quality cards, with little eye appeal. Every time I open a pack I wonder what I thought I might find. For me it's truly a Cal Ripiken 9 or 10 or I have cards I don't even know what to do with. If others agree with me (and I think most do) then it comes down to how many people want the unopened boxes for collecting, since it looks like a poor investment. Some other issues that would cause it to be unpopular are that it's an odd shaped box that doesn't stack well with most of the 80s boxes, and then 82, 83 and 84 boxes are very similar. You can get the general look of the 82 donruss in an 84 donruss box, but 84 is the right shape for stacking and there is a great set inside. I think $85 is actually too high, but I bought one a while ago since I want it and it's not that much money. I don't expect that I will ever make money on it after considering shipping both ways.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    well the lower pop stuff probably worth it and the stars of that era, do some homework and look them up on eBay.

I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>well the lower pop stuff probably worth it and the stars of that era, do some homework and look them up on eBay. >>

My experience is that the cards I pull aren't even close to gradeable. It kind of looks like Donruss didn't even try to make nice cards. If I open my box, I don't think I'll get anything at all.

But since I am both definitely wrong and an idiot for posting at all, you have the opportunity of a lifetime. Buy some boxes, rip away, have the great cards graded and post the results. Here's the link.

THERE'S GOLD IN THEM THERE HILLS!
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am planning on selling an unsealed factory set without Ripken and some stars for $2 at my yard sale.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    Were these sets factory sealed? I have an 82 set in numerical order in a Donruss box with red writing, but I can't get all 660 cards and Ruth puzzle to fit in the box.
    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I think they were sealed inside the box in cello packs of 50 cards. Such a horrible product that year. You could have an entire set that's OC.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooner or later, people will start collecting the set on the registry. When that happens, the set as a whole will get fleshed out and true condition sensitive cards will surface. Then, prices on individual cards will increase, followed by unopened. It's really just a waiting game. So if you don't mind waiting 15-20 years to turn your $85 into $150 you should be alright.
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

and on an $85 investment in 20 years, where else are you going to get that kind of return.... if your still alive......

I have that set from Donruss still in the cello wrappers at my parents house... did I just find gold...?
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, not sure if you could tell but I was being a little facetious.