Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins representing Family togetherness..... Ideas?

Hello all--

Frequent lurker, occasional poster here. I had a question I was hoping you all could help out with. My wife and I are expecting our first baby soon. I want to start a small coin portfolio that I will add to over the years, including gold. To start it out, I'd like to get some coins representing family. I got this idea when my wife thought the Panda gold coins were cute and wanted just any year of the Panda as a starting coin. Then, I saw that the 2004 Panda actually has a picture of a mother panda with a cub, and it got me thinking. Why not a starting set of coins representing family?

Link to 2004 Panda on eBay

This would look great with an AGE that had the mother eagle landing in her nest with the baby eaglets.

Which leads to my question...

Anybody know any other coins, gold, silver, copper, anything, that have similar scenes? US or International?

Thanks!
JakeBlues

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    interesting question, off the top of my head, the Sac dolloar has the Indian woman and her Papoose.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

<< <i>My wife and I are expecting our first baby soon. >>

Congratulations. Will he be named Elwood?image
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    the rev. of the gold eagle with the adult eagle and the baby eagle still in its nest
    Dale Moore III image
    www.wornoutboots@yahoo.com

• Options
    US Gold Eagles feature a similar theme on the reverse. WOuld make an excellent birth year purchase.

this is the only shot I could find at a quick glance, the reverse has an eagle approaching teh nest with a mother eagle and one or two new borns in the nest.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    Well, there is an odd looking (primitive) family on this 1994 Aussie 50 cent.

http://www.coinpeople.com/rccmint/primative/images/primrs.jpg

They even have a pet. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    here's a better shot

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    Looks like a 6 year old won that Aussie Design Contest =D
    -George
    42/92
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a 6 year old won that Aussie Design Contest =D >>

I totally disagree...

My six year olds can draw much better than that.

Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    I thought of the Sacagewea actually, but I am just no fan of the SAC.... however, it could be nice as part of a "mother and child" set with my Panda and my AGE.

As I mentioned in my post above, the American Gold Eagle is also a good coin for this. Thanks for the suggestion on the Australian coin--but that's a little too far out for me. :-).... I seriously wonder who thought that this was a good coin design:

However, I think the AGE with the Panda would make a nice little set. If anybody can think of other coins, I'm all up for it!

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    The Statue of Liberty commem half has an immagrant family waiting on the docks at Ellis island on reverse.
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    check canadian gold coins
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    Is there a coin in particular you are referring to in Canada?

I found this one, depicting a mother polar bear and 2 cubs:
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    JakeBlues - a most excellent theme.

One coin that comes to mind is the Elgin commemorative, whose reverse bears "a wilderness scout (based on the French explorer Joliet), settler James T. Gifford and his brother, Hezekian (founders of Elgin), James' wife and their baby" - see additional information and an image below....

From coinfacts.com:

The city of Elgin, Illinois celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1935. For the occasion, Trygve Rovelstad produced a Pioneer Medal, not only to celebrate the anniversary but to raise money for his Pioneer Memorial, a statue Rovelstad began in the early 1930's, but which had stalled due to a lack of funding. The Pioneer Memorial was to be a 12 foot high grouping of five figures, representing a wilderness scout (based on the French explorer Joliet), settler James T. Gifford and his brother, Hezekian (founders of Elgin), James' wife and their baby.

In 1935, a bill sponsored by Congressman Chauncey Reed was introduced for a Half Dollar to commemorate the city's centennial and to raise money for Rovelstad's stalled statue. Congress failed to pass the bill until June 1936, after the centennial had already come and gone. Eventually, 25,015 Elgin Half Dollars were struck, 15 of which were reserved for assay. 20,000 coins were sold for $1.50 each and the remaining 5,000 were returned to the Mint and destroyed.

Unfortunately for Rovelstad, the funds from the sale of the Elgin Half Dollars were still insufficient to complete the statue. Rovelstad placed the statue in his home studio, where it languished for many years, receiving occasional visitors who knew of the statue's existence.

Rovelstad died in 1990, ending his efforts to complete the statue. Thanks to the support of his wife, his daughter, and the Pioneer Memorial Foundation of Illinois (established in 1957 by Rovelstad himself), his statue was bronzed and installed in a public place near the Kimball Street bridge in downtown Elgin, Illinois on November 11, 2001.

• Options
    So many cool family coin photos being posted, I should add some more that were mentioned for completeness:

A sac

Statue of Liberty Commemorative
  • Options
    Hey--I like that Elgin coin.... this could be the start of a very interesting sub-collection.... like the Coins with Trees theme or Coins with Boats or Coins with Buildings.... Coins with families :-)
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1982 year of the child: These were issued by several countries and some should be suitable.
    China 1989 50 Y: There are also other dates of these which may be of interest.
    1974 Indian coins: These include gold and are FAO (year of the family). There are other countries which participated in this but their identity escapes me.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file