Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

39 D Washington old PCI holder

I've read with great interest the opinions of ithers on PCI coins, but I'm interested in your opinions of this 39D. I do see something going on in his cheek area so I don't think it will cross. Not a bad looking quarter though.

39D
US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Comments

• Options
    MS63 in my opinion - careful on this one
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Not all "old" PCI holders are created equal. Some of the green labels are just as crappy as the current gold label. Look for 10 digit serial numbers on these. Every one with a 10 digit number that I've bought has been graded very accurately, and some even on the conservative side.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Looks like there's a few nicks in back of the neck.
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one of the newer PCI slabs. You can tell by the 6 in the grade. The older slabs graded tougher than PCGS the 6 doesn't round over at the top.

I really don't care for the toning on that coin but how can you go wrong for a couple of bucks.

The last older PCI I crossed went from AU58 to PCGS MS62.
  • Options
    in the words of Bob Barker:

the price is right.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    I'm getting this Buffalo back in a PCGS MS64 holder - it previously resided in a green PCI holder with the same grade. You just have to look at the coin in hand and decide what you have.

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Can't tell for sure because we can't see the back of the slab but that slab could date as recently as early 2002.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice to me.

MS64
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file