Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OOH!!! Looky what I just scored!!!

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

Now, I know most of you don't give a rat's butt about an obscure book published 20 years ago, but I've been looking for this puppy for quite a while. I'm happy! image

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    What's it about?
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool. Congrats. I hope it is a good read.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    very nice MR. RUSS my buddy has one just like it very cool book lots of info on cameos.
    Dale Moore III image
    www.wornoutboots@yahoo.com

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    That's a good find and should be an interesting read.

I wonder how the information about, and the view of, cameos from that era has changed in the last 20 years? Or maybe it hasn't. Interesting to find out.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    You ought to send it to Marty and have him ask Val to sign it. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Nice find
    Michael
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Great find! Congratulations. I also have a copy and refer to it often. Nice background and it's always interesting to compare Val Webb's summary v. Rick Tomaska's ("Cameo and Brilliant Proof Coinage of the 1950 to 1970 Era") v. the PCGS and NGC population reports (and the Teletrade and other sales archives). Of course, some of the pricing information is a hoot - particularly if you translate "heavily contrasted" as "Deep Cameo". Enjoy image
  • Options
    Looks like a book on a bunch of bald old men.
  • Options
    Cool find Russ! I like books almost as much as coins!
    Joe
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I bought a copy a couple years ago. Nice book, great photos.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Gee I thought it was full of coins...I woulda liked that ...I have 54-63 all cameo
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I never knew Val wrote a book!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Nice score for you Russimage
  • Options
    ? What time at night are you going to have a bedtime read with us?!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Val Webb is quite the authority. He also did an article in the Coin dealer newlsletter years ago. I've run into him a number of times, and have traded with him. Is is extremely knowledgeable. He is one of those guys, if he's buying off of you, you might get a little nervous thinking he knows something about that particular piece that your missing. Excellent find Russ.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Great score Russ, I know you love Cameo Proofs. I'm sure it's an awesome reference book. I had similiar feelings when I finally located a copy of Waye Miller's Morgan and Peace dollar textbook...just a treasure trove of amazing information long out-of-print and forgotten by many.

One little tidbit was the Flat-Struck proofs of 1889-1893...made the whole thing worth it.

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    That's a nice book, Congrats!!!!

Dennis
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭
    What I find interesting is whose cameo is NOT on the cover of the book.image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I never knew Val wrote a book! >>

Kranky,

Rick Tomaska actually relied pretty heavily on it when he wrote his more well known book. It'll make a nice companion volume, and will be interesting to compare the two.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file