Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lesson: Modern overdates are double dies!

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
The doubling process in which makes a double die.
Class I: Rotated hub doubling--The 1955 cent is a great example.
Class II: Distorted hub doubling--1942/1941 is an example.
Class III: Design hub doubling--I think the 1960 small over large versions fit into this class.
Class IV: Offset hub doubling
Class V: Pivoted hub doubling
Class VI: Distended hub doubling
Class VII: Modified hub doubling--The 1970s cent is an example.
Class VIII: Tilted hub doubling--there is some two cent piece with this type of doubling.

The die making process.
The process used to take two impressions to make a die. Today they have more shallow dies, so they use one impression.

Step one anneal a die and impress the die into the hub. Step two anneal the same die and make a second impression to complete the die. When all goes well, there is no evidence of the process; however, when things go wrong you get errors.

Probably the best know example of doubling is the 1955 cent. When the second impression was made from the hub it was way off, so far off that you can pick up the error without using magnification. Class III, V, and VIII are similar, just that the starting point of the doubling is not in the center.

In the case of the 1942 over 1941 Philidelphea and Denver coins the process included getting a pair of dies ready, one die for 1942 and one die for 1941.

The dies pressed at the same time. The first impresson went fine. On the second impression the dies were mistakenly switched. So the 1941 die was pressed with the 1942 hub after the annealing, and the 1942 die was hubbed with the 1941 hub, the result a pair of double dies. The 1942/1941 was found in the early 1940s (probably 1942), the 1942/1941-D was found in the early 1960s. The coin went undetected for 20 years!

One of the sources is "Treasure Hunting Mercury Dimes," Wexler and Flynn. The other is from reading magazines and weekly news papers for over twenty years.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    Excellent info for those not familiar with the process. I would also recommend Arnold Margolis's, The Error Coin Encyclopedia in conjunction with the Cherrypicker's Guide. A must for every numismatic library.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I can understand how the 1942/1941-D went undetected. It's not obvious like the 1942/1941.
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    No doubt this is in response to my earlier post on another thread. And of course you are completely correct! I apologized on the other thread and apologize here too. I certainly do not want to spread any misinformation and try not to. Where was my head? I was watching the Colts playoff game and posting at the same time and just wasn't thinking straight. Usually I pay more attention here. Thanks for setting me straight!! image
  • Options
    I'll even help you out. The 1983 DDR cent is a great example of Class IV doubling!! image
  • Options
    fcloud:

Not to completely burst your bubble, because I WAS wrong, but this is where my thinking may have been skewed. Check out page 345 of the latest Cherrypickers' Guide:

"What many collectors may not be aware of is the fact that ALL of the 20th Century overdates are CLASS III doubled dies except for the 1901/0S $5 gold. They were created by using working hubs from two different years on the same working die."

Apparently they are Class III--design hub doubling, and not Class II. image
  • Options
    A good example of Class V doubling is the 1995 DDO cent.

Doubled dies where the lettering and numbers are extra thick and do not show separation are usually Class VI doubled dies.

There is a 1964 cent (DDO) and a 1963 quarter (DDR) that show Class VIII doubling. image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Richbeat,

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    fcloud:

Thanks!!!! (I'm still embarrased) image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file