Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS

How is ANACS with grading coins? Is ANACS reliable with Mercurys?
-George
42/92

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    ANACS is generally considered the third best after PCGS and NGC.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I sold a "third best" holdered merc to a member here that sent it to PCGS and got a 2 point upgrade.

NGC/PCGS/ANACS all have brain farts now and then.
    NGC/PCGS are more highly regarded than ANACS tho.
  • Options
    I ask, cause ANACS is a lot cheaper and seems to be faster than PCGS and NGC...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    ANACS is good with coins dated before 1946....somewhat lenient on more modern coinsimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    except modern proofs.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    if you are thinking of submitting to them DO NOT USE ECONOMY!!!!!!!!!!
    Spring the extra few bucks and use the 5 or 10 day service, whichever one it is.

Rainbowroosie....what moderns are they lenient on?? I have NEVER seen an ANACS MS or PF70 coin.
    Just curious.

I've heard that they are extremely strict on early copper.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Of the fiver coins I have sent to PCGS from crackout ANACS... One upgrade two points, two coins upgraded one point, two coins remained the same.

The two point upgrade was a Lincoln cent, the rest were Mercury dimes.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ANACS is ... somewhat lenient on more modern coins >>

If that's true, you should have no trouble finding me a 1982-D Washington Half Dollar in an ANACS MS69 holder. After all, there's a bunch of PCGS and NGC ones.
    Still waiting...
    Still waiting. Did I mention the pop on these is *0*? Lenient, harumph.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Roosies in particular...have seen a number of clunkers....image

A point too high on Washington Quarters, also.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    You can get 2-day express with ANACS for the same $$ as PCGS if you're only a Silver Member... and the 5-day express is $20 per for 1-4 coins, 5+ is $15 per, the Economy is $12 per for 1-9 and $10 per for 10+
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    ANACS and ICG are a tie for third place when it comes to Mercs.
  • Options
    Economy is VERY slow with ANACS, even slower than PCGS at times
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can get 2-day express with ANACS for the same $$ as PCGS if you're only a Silver Member... and the 5-day express is $20 per for 1-4 coins, 5+ is $15 per, the Economy is $12 per for 1-9 and $10 per for 10+ >>

Notice that 4 coins is more expensive then 5 image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Marketing at its finest. If you go with ANACS, you can't enter the coins into a registry set. If you don't care to enter them, why certify. I love this supply and demand stuff.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, on coins graded within the past year or so ANACS is very close to PCGS and better than NGC. The "market" hasn't figured this out yet so there are many bargains to be found in ANACS holders. Many of the largest dealers, those that cater to well heeled investor types, bad mouth ANACS as a regular part of their pitch.

On modern commems ANACS is the most conservative of the grading services, period. Again, the "market" has not figured this out so ANACS coins are often sold at a discount.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    They also don't have a price difference between Modern and Older coins...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options

<< <i>They also don't have a price difference between Modern and Older coins... >>

On coins from 1979 on, if you submit 10 or more...$7.00 per coin.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    JC I believe that is probably their current "special"

they usually have a decent deal going most of the time.
  • Options

<< <i>JC I believe that is probably their current "special"

they usually have a decent deal going most of the time. >>

That may very well be. I always miss the specials. The "10 for $10 in 10 days" I missed. I sent in 20 classic coins Economy the 17th of November. Haven't gotten them back yet.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    NEVER use economy at ANACS!
    You won't see those until Feb. or March I'd guess!
  • Options
    I'm really debating about submitting 2 or 3 coins... 1 is an 09-S Wheatie that you can barely see the S on that I cherrypicked for 50c... slabbing would knock off some of the profit, but would make it easier to sell, especially on EBay... on the other hand I have a nice Merc and a Barber Dime that I'd like to slab, mostly for protections sake, b/c they are nice and I don't want anything to happen to them... but, the value for both is only around $40-$45, if not less... but I don't plan on selling those...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS is cheap enough to use thier 5 day service and a must. As many said, dont use economy.

As a person who likes and prefers PCGS, I have to admit that ANACS grading in the last 6 months has been dead on and very conservative along the same lines as PCGS and in some cases better IMO. They have really tightened up to top industry standards in a lot of series, especially older circulated copper. The problem is, thier is quite of bit of older ANACS graded coins like WLH, SLQ, Barbers and Buff's, etc that have been lightly cleaned or misgraded by a point or two which still continue to dominat the market place. That not to say that the other service dont make mistakes as well which we all now. Its just that a lot of previously holdered ANACS coins push that next grade in several of the series I mentioned. Ex: Several Barber and Walking halves graded by ANACS as Xf-40, would only holder at VF-30 to 35 at PCGS, NGC

I agree with others, I have plucked three recently graded ANACS coins out of a dealers inventory and submitted to PCGS, thinking that I will get them holdered at the same grade if not a point higher. (Ill Post when they come back)

jim

• Options
    I've been told ANACS is very good/accurate with copper.
    I submit to them once in a while...and I love buying their graded coins for my type set album....good coins at better prices (usually) than I'll pay for a "big 2"...and their slabs crack pretty easy for the album.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I use ANACS quite a bit, and they seem to be just like pcgs and ngc. A few better grades here, a few worse grades there. You'll get an occasional "bump" here and there with them, but they can be downright nasty in the opposite respect, with net grading coins for seemingly fictional "problems".
    Generally, if a coin is worth $150 or less, I'll send it along to ANACS. I usually do 4 or 5 submissions to them a year. I'll stockpile material for them, and do 25 or so coins at a whack.
    Lately though, with NGC's economy service being as quick as it has been, I've been sending most everything to NGC. It takes me a couple of weeks longer to get the coins back, but not long enough to fret.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    ANACS called this a MS64FB - I'm pretty happy because I bought it slabbed for about $24 or something like that. I don't know how this is only a 64 and I'm not saying they're good because of this. I buy mostly ANACS and find most of it to be accurately graded.

Now, Wallstreetman should be here directly to make a derogatory comment about ANACS and likely end his statement with an exclamation mark!

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I'd agree with BigD5 - send the less expensive coins to ANACS. I bought an ANACS MS66 peace that would probably be a 65 in a PCGS or NGC holder.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking Merc. The coin looks as if it must be seen to appreciate the grade. It looks FSB, 64 seems harsh unless the picture is hiding something. And for the record, ANACs does a decent job grading... they just need some marketing help.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Oops, filled another drool bucket... GREAT MERC! Would fit in nicely with my other Beauties! =D Every one of them is Blast White, and your's is definately a BEAUTY! And a good deal in my opinion for such a lovely Merc!
    -George
    42/92

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file