Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shield Nickel & Error people! Opinions please!

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up this 1872 Shield Nickel today at Parsippany (PCGS MS64). It's a really nice example with long die cracks & some other
interesting features that I'd love to hear opinions on.

First is the "S" in "CENTS" on the reverse. The bottom of the "S" fades out & then fades back in. I initially thought it would be a
filled die error, but it fades out & in so evenly and you can see the metal flow through the space that matches the other areas of
the field. Now I'm not so sure what to call it.

Secondly, the "8" in the date is definitely over another character, but I can't tell what it is. I can't get the pic any clearer but I was
hoping someone here would know if there was a known variety of this nature.

Tell me what I've got here!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've got a coin you want to send to me image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

K05-10 Doubled/repunched date includes:

K05-11 Doubled date.
    BREEN 2490
    K05-12 Repunched date, north.
    FS-007.6

K05-13 Repunched date, west.
    FS-007.7

K05-14 Small/large date, 1 punched northwest, and the 8 is punched into the ball.
    FS-007.8

K05-20 Doubled obverse includes:

K05-21 Strong doubling on annulet, shield, leaves north on cross and intersection of lines in shield.
    CONECA 1-O-III, FS-007.2

K05-22 Slight doubling north northwest on cross, upper shield, annulet and leaves, southeast.
    CONECA 2-O-III, BREEN 2492, FS-007

K05-22.1 Die break from rim south southwest through upper TED in UNITED, hub break on lower S in CENTS.
    CONECA

K05-23 Doubling north northwest on cross, annulet, upper shield and leaves, proof.
    CONECA 3-O-III

K05-24 Strong doubling north on cross, annulet, leaves, upper shield, berries and lines in shield.
    CONECA 4-O-III, FS-007.3

K05-25 Slight doubling north on cross, annulet, upper shield and leaves.
    CONECA 5-O-III

K05-25.1 Die break from top of cross southwest through left tip of cross to leaves.
    CONECA

K05-26 Tripling on annulet, cross, shield and leaves, north and south.
    CONECA 6-O-III, FS-007.4

K05-27 Doubled annulet, south.
    FS-007.5
    K05-30 2 in date is .

K05-31 Partially filled.
    BREEN

K05-32 Filled.
    BREEN
  • Options

Man Placid, that was FAST! It'll take me a bit to figure all that out. image

Thanks!

• Options
    Cherrypickers' shows 12 varieties for that date. But nothing in the bottem loop of the 8.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I think there is much unexplored territory in this series from my few experiences with varieties. From what I found out varieties in this series don'e add much value but they are neat.image mike
  • Options

It just hit me that the best way to describe the "S" is that it looks the same as the "broken wing" variety of the
    Flying Eagle Cent. It has the same appearance as the separated wing tip. A smooth transition from the device
    to the field & back again. It almost looks like it was intentionally made like that.

• Options
    could a filled die give that appearance?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    K05-22.1 Die break from rim south southwest through upper TED in UNITED, hub break on lower S in CENTS.

Whats a hub break look like?
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The missing bottom of the S is caused by a broken hub. The shield nickel series has LOTS of coins struck from dies created with broken hubs. The most common areas showing missing detail for broken hubs are the bottom of the S in Cents and the top of the first S in States. 1868 nickels with the reverse hub of 1868 usually show hub breaks on both the S's mentioned and the bottom of the C in Cents is usually gone plus breaks on a couple other letters.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are literally hundreds, perhaps thousands of minor varieties in the Shield Nickel series. Because the series isn't very popular the varieties bring little if any premium in 99% of the cases. I've always liked the series myself but have no illusions about it ever becoming popular. It isn't going to happen.
    All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file