Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What a shipping charge!

I won 3 items (3 single cards) yugioh cards worth totalling about $15.30. Shipping is $2.99 each auction. Seller billed me separate invoices. So I emailed him and mentioned that I won 3 of his auction would like to combine. I was expecting like $1 per additional. Wow seller said he will deduct $2 off the total shipping and slapped me $6.96 for the $15.30 auction I won. I emailed back and asked if this is priority and why is so expensive. He answered that this is to cover ebay fees and paypal fees???

RIP Snow

Comments

• Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    paypal him 10 times
    divide the total as best as you can.
    on small amounts paypal will hit him
    for .75 each payment.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    My little brother bid on an old Nintendo game on my account and won it for $1.50. of course the he forgot to check out the shipping charges by the seller....$7.00!!!!!!!! I guess he'll learn the hard way now that he's paying it himself.
  • Options
    I don't really mind paying too much extra to cover the fees, but that does sound a little overboard. I agree with the above post, pay him with three seperate payments.
    Always wanting odd-ball Nolan Ryan's.
  • Options
    The seller doesn't understand that postage charges are just that - the cost it takes to mail the item to you. He/She is looking at using the postage fees to cover their other expenses (EBay and PayPal fees), which is dead wrong. I would hit them on this in your feedback to them so other potential buyers are aware of this when they decide on their next purchase from this seller.
    Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    WHOA!..hang on..well I agree that the S&H charges are excessive..it is the responsibilty of the bidder to ask about multiple win shipping policy, etc. BEFORE placing bids. eBay makes it pretty easy for you to ask. Your failure to do so is no reason to take it out on the seller.
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Making separate payments sounds like a good idea. Give him a taste of his own medicine. That will make him learn. One caution: be polite about and act naive. When he asks you why you sent him three extra payments, say that you had 3 separate invoices and that if he had combined them you would have done one payments (mention you didn't know better and was only reacting to his wishes). This is to avoid a negative from him. He will think you were just an innocent kid and be angry at himself for the plan to backfire on him like that. This ought to be cool.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>Making separate payments sounds like a good idea. Give him a taste of his own medicine. That will make him learn. One caution: be polite about and act naive. When he asks you why you sent him three extra payments, say that you had 3 separate invoices and that if he had combined them you would have done one payments (mention you didn't know better and was only reacting to his wishes). This is to avoid a negative from him. He will think you were just an innocent kid and be angry at himself for the plan to backfire on him like that. This ought to be cool.

-------------------------
    DeutscherGeist >>

Question..Just when do some of you guys plan on growing up and taking responsibility for your own actions/inactions?

I guess it's just easier to blame someone else because you didn't excercise due diligence!

Skip
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Habs71,

You are right, one should ask for terms of shipping beforehand so that there are no surprises. Sometimes the sellers don't really specify the terms and one has to email them about it. Usually, there is no response, so in that case, I personally don't bid. There have been many cases where my questions were unanswered, so I never bid. It happens too often, that is why I rarely get a chance to buy.

I posted the way I did, not to enrage you, but to help Snowball. If I am busy and someone sends me 3 invoices, I have no choice but to pay them separately. If the seller wanted to combine, he would combine. Its that easy. By the way, I never had this problem before anyway.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Snowball. Keep that email where he says the excessive postage is for the ebay fees, forward it to ebay, they should void the auction. It is against ebay's rules for a seller to charge the ebay fees to a buyer. The same may hold true for the paypal fees. Anything else you need to know snowball, come to me.
    The three paypal payment idea is good, but it may backfire as in negative or neutral feedback, or any other bad stuff.
    Also, the best way to bring the shipping fees down by the sellers, is not to bid on their auctions and tell them you are not bidding because of their fees.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    if the seller doesnt state how much combined shipping will be, I always email and ask if they'll combine and how much.. they normally act like ive asked a stupid question and reply "OF COURSE!! I ALWAYS DO!!" ..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I paid the seller. Sent me invoices with incorrect email address on that ebay invoice so I have to cancel the pending payment. He notified me and blaming ebay sent the wrong email address. I told him I'll just pay through the paypal notification that I got (has the correct email address). He got 3 separate payments for those.

After this, I saw other cards and asked the seller if he combine. He said he will combined for an additional .75 per auction due to ebay fees.

I did bought from a seller who clearly stated that he doesn't combine so I paid 2 separate payments. He did sent it on 2 separate mailers.

I bought a graded card before worth about $100 and seller charged 6 for s/h/ins. I received the package with del. confirmation and when i looked at the package seller didn't fully insure it and only paid 1.30 ins. I just hate it when some sellers combine insurance with s/h and then underinsure the package.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    How do eBay fees impact shipping fees... with one win or 100 wins? Additonal shipping charges should reflect shipping!

btw, it's against eBay rules to charge a buyer additional fees to cover eBay fees (except in the UK).
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    You have to report this guy about the ebay fees snow. I had someone do that to me once. I reported him to ebay, and they voided the auction.
  • Options
    tattletail!image
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    Agree with habs...yes the fees are high, but the buyer assumed seller would combine shipping if several items were won. Most sellers specify they combine, for those who don't probably a good portion will combine if you email them and ask.

Yet I agree with those who say if he/she wants to play that game, then make 3 separate paypal payments.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Actually the last time someone sent me separate payments I wound up $.50 over the single payment method.
  • Options

Got the card. Guess what? after paying $6.97 for shipping seller place the card in a regular envelope with cardbord on it and postage of $0.60!!!!! I knew it! He's going to toss those cards in a envelope with $0.60 postage but I was expecting a bubble envelope not the small white letter envelope!

I was wondering what feedback to give?
    RIP Snow
  • Options
    You people are too much. Like habs said you need to grow up. I don't think it's any great revalation that some sellers on ebay use the shipping & handling charge as a marketing ploy & to get around ebay fees. Yet, over & over again there's threads on here about some big "rip-off" that's been uncovered because some seller charged more than the cost of the stamp on the envelope. The auctions state what the shipping charges are up front and if you don't like what your bid + shipping charges add up to, then don't bid. Ratting the guy out to ebay or paying with 10 different payments only puts more money into ebay's pocket.
  • Options
    I think it is ok to make a small "profit" on shipping (by profit I mean to cover the cost of materials, time/handling, etc), just don't reach too far in the cookie jar- ie. $6.50 for 60 cents worth of shipping is borderline criminal.